X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop pitman arm VS Tie rod flip for CJ's

My CJ is only lifted 3" by the springs, but that was enough to throw the steering geometry out of whack. I thought by going with a drop pitman arm, it would correct this.

While it did correct the steering issue, mainly 'bump steer', it also created a new problem: having the pitman arm exposed to the rocks.

My solution was to go back to the stock, flat, pitman arm, and do a tie rod flip.

Before flip with drop pitman arm:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...rodflip001.jpg

After flip with stock arm:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...rodflip004.jpg

Before:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...rodflip002.jpg

After:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...rodflip003.jpg

Now I may still hit the tie rod, but the steering gearbox will be safe(r).

It moved the tie rod and drag link up about 3" from the stock location.
    The only downside to this, is the factory steering dampner won't work, however an aftermarket style will. HB

I flipped mine.

Comment

I did forget to mention, if you go with a heavy diff cover, like the SOLID on my D30, and install a befy aftermarket tie rod, you need to do the flip. My stock tie rod just rubs the diff cover when fully turned left/right. A larger aftermarket tie rod would hit for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post
        I did forget to mention, if you go with a heavy diff cover, like the SOLID on my D30, and install a befy aftermarket tie rod, you need to do the flip. My stock tie rod just rubs the diff cover when fully turned left/right. A larger aftermarket tie rod would hit for sure.
        I installed the Big Daddy tie rod and drag link and I know that they come close to hitting the stock diff. cover I can imagine what an aftermarket diff. cover would be like.

I keep thinking about doing the tie rod flip also, did you buy a kit to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
          I installed the Big Daddy tie rod and drag link and I know that they come close to hitting the stock diff. cover I can imagine what an aftermarket diff. cover would be like.

I keep thinking about doing the tie rod flip also, did you buy a kit to do it?

I bought the bushings (3 of them) and borowed a reamer. I did it by hand, youdon't need to take alot of material out, to ream all 3 took me less than 30 minutes. Now getting the pitman arms off was another story!

Comment

lookin' good..

I bet you're gettin' pretty pumped about Moab, Bill. The rod conversion looks good. Would you happen to have a link for the tapered bushings? Gnarly sent it to me sometime back, but in my infinite wisdom I have misplaced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post
              I bought the bushings (3 of them) and borowed a reamer. I did it by hand, youdon't need to take alot of material out, to ream all 3 took me less than 30 minutes. Now getting the pitman arms off was another story!
              Sounds easy enough. I know how pitman arms can be, I screwed up a pitman arm puller trying to get it off of my friends TJ, it just didn't want to let loose. Heat can be your best friend sometimes, as long as it isn't too intense to affect the seals in the steering box.

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
              Would you happen to have a link for the tapered bushings?
              X2

Comment

I bet you have a better turning radius now also. The stock arm is longer than the dropped arm.

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk View Post
                  I bet you have a better turning radius now also. The stock arm is longer than the dropped arm.
                  Yep. When I installed the ZJ gearbox with the drop arm, I had to bring my stop boltsout some. Now I can bring them back in.

I do believe the Grand Cherokee box is valved different, it seems to be faster to react. Could also be the fact that my CJ box was in need of a rebuild, that it felt 'slower'.

Comment

I bet you're gettin' pretty pumped about Moab, Bill. The rod conversion looks good. Would you happen to have a link for the tapered bushings? Gnarly sent it to me sometime back, but in my infinite wisdom I have misplaced it.

Hey blackwater and dj, here's the link for where I got the bushings. You can also get the reamer from them, or if you know someone that has one, borrow or rent it. Thats what I did, saved about $70 It's a 7/16'' to 1'' pitch.

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catal...d_flip_sleeve/

Just a heads up; I have read about some people having bad luck with this place, I had no problems. The bushings shipped quick and everything was there.

Be sure to follow the instructions, if you take out to much metal, the knuckle is pretty well shot.

Comment

Thanks Hill, Bill E!

Comment

Ditto...

Originally posted by dj_jeepin View Post
                        Thanks Hill, Bill E!
                        Thanks for the link and the advice, Bill.

I'm gettin' old, man. I checked the board this morning with that little bell ringing in my head. 'Did I ask somebody something yesterday?' I don't suppose I'm shot yet. It's twenty till two here and I finally remembered what it was. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Thanks for the link and the advice, Bill.

I'm gettin' old, man. I checked the board this morning with that little bell ringing in my head. 'Did I ask somebody something yesterday?' I don't suppose I'm shot yet. It's twenty till two here and I finally remembered what it was. Thanks again for the help.
                          No problem. And don't worry, I have C.R.A.F.T. myself.

(Can't Remember A Flipping Thing!)

Comment

Working...
                          X