X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Conversion Vs. Brake Booster?

I have an M38 with the L-134 engine, which means I'll only be going about 40. So no highways or big streets for me. But my brakes are a little weak. First of all I'm not sure if they are done right. Brake petal is stiff but it takes a while to stop. So secondly, if that is normal for manual brakes of that time, I was thinking about either getting a brake booster or upgrading to 11" brakes. I read that if you're not doing high speed travel a brake booster can be a good choice. Thirdly, if a brake booster would be alright I was wondering about where I could find the best deal for one.
    Thanks

53 willys (305 chevy) with a brake booster that was on it when i bought it. im assuming it is stock due to the access plate in the floor to fill it. i get it up to about 55-60 mph and has no problem stopping. although i would like to upgrade to discs due to mud gettin in the drums.

Comment

Originally posted by 1953 willys View Post
      53 willys (305 chevy) with a brake booster that was on it when i bought it. im assuming it is stock due to the access plate in the floor to fill it. i get it up to about 55-60 mph and has no problem stopping. although i would like to upgrade to discs due to mud gettin in the drums.
      Are you sure there is a booster or just the master cylinder in the floor????

Comment

Originally posted by 1953 willys View Post
        You have the same 9 in brakes?
        If so that is amazing that it stops well with just the booster.

Comment

sorry, my bad. yes i meant the master cylinder with no booster. but again no problems stopping. 9in drums in the front but running 11in in the rear on a little newer 44. as soon as i find a good deal i will be relocating it to under the hood with a booster and the disc brakes hopefully on all 4 wheels. i am in the process of replacing the very (very) weak Dana 25 in the front with a 44.

Comment

Working...
          X