X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shackle lift

ok, i already have a 2.5in. lift on my 84 cj7, and run 32" tires....I am wanting to put on some shackles that will give me another 1.5"s of lift. what will i need to do to my jeep to make puting these shackles on possible? I know i will need to drop the t-case, and get longer front sway bar. But is their any thing else? thx for any help.

p.s. i read that a shackle lift helps the angle on ur driveshaft, is this true? or will i need a slip yoke eliminator? thx.

This being in the CJ section, I'm assuming you have a CJ, and a CJ doesn't have a slip yoke, so no, you won't need an SYE. (didn't read close enough- an '84 CJ7, oops!))

To get 1 1/2 inches more of lift, the shackles would need to be another 3'' from hole to hole than they are now. Wayyyyyy to long to be practical or safe.

A small increase in the rear is OK (small as in 1/2'' to 1'' longer shackles), to level out the Jeep or lift the pinion up a bit.

The front axle is a different story. Yes youwould get the lift, and the pinion angle, but your steering would go to heck in a handbasket. The front end would look like a road grader with the wheels tilted!

Stick with a spring lift, a 1'' body lift, or a combination of the two. I'm running a 3'' spring and 1'' bodylift and clear 33x12.5-15 tires with minimal rubbing at full flex.

Comment

The driveshaft angle won't be the issue, however, the driveability & safety is. 3" longer shackles are horribly long. Do you plan to offroad this Jeep? If so, you'll be digging in to every steep aproach.

Also, with the narrower front springs & lack of track bar on a CJ, you get into track stability issues. I agree on the 1/2" to 5/8" lift, heavy duty shackle & a 1 inch body lift to get the desired height. Yes it's a bit more expensive, but it's well worth it.

Comment

i put lift shackles under my cj over the winter, you will need longer shocks, longer front brake lines. i havented driven mine yet hence its still goin back together, but id imagine it will be interesting. might turn out bad, well see, granted they are 1/4" heavy-duty shackles, i gusseted the spring hangers for strength and put a steering box brace on, my steering was i bit squierly before ( but i had a blown shock, frozen brake caliper, 2 bad axle u-joints, worn out shackles, and a steering shaft that was shot) which is all fixed. Now my situation is different from most, i dont drive much over 30 mph with mine and trail ride for weekend fun, plus im pushin 10 inches of lift and 38s so its not the safest anyways. i will let ya know how it drives in about 3 weeks.

Comment

ok, so form what i hear 1.5 inch lifted shackes are to big...., so what is the maximum size shackles i could put on my jeep to lift it, and still keep my rig a good DD. ? And also when i looked for shackles on e bay why are most of em made for providing you with more than an inch of lift? thx

Comment

Originally posted by jeeplogan View Post
            ok, so form what i hear 1.5 inch lifted shackes are to big...., so what is the maximum size shackles i could put on my jeep to lift it, and still keep my rig a good DD. ? And also when i looked for shackles on e bay why are most of em made for providing you with more than an inch of lift? thx
            1/2" to 5/8" lift shackles should be fine as long as they're of the heavy duty variety.

Many sellers on ebay take advantage of the uneducated suckers that think that everything they see on ebay has to be a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
              1/2" to 5/8" lift shackles should be fine as long as they're of the heavy duty variety.

Many sellers on ebay take advantage of the uneducated suckers that think that everything they see on ebay has to be a great deal.

Originally posted by jeeplogan View Post
              Dude, forget the shackles unless they need replacing because something is wrong with them.

You already have a 2.5" spring (I assume) lift. Throw on a 1" body lift for $100 and call it a day. That will get you into 33" tires, if you want with minimal rubbing as stated above.

Comment

Working...
              X