X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axel help

ive got the stupid m20 rear. its making aweful noises, grinding poping etc. im taking it to a mechanic next tuesday to have him dig into it and see whats up. if its somthing serious, i just want to replace the axel instead of rebuilding it. im not a super serius off roader, but plan to run 33's in the near futer. what are some opinions on which axel i should get. availabilty around here is a concern, also the price. i dont know much abut axels, so the little amount of work i have to do the better. i know this has been talked about alot, but didnt find the answers i was looking for. thanks-cj-7

get one piece shafts and weld the tubes. you'll be done with it for a long time.

Comment

I agree with Fubar. You've probably spun a hub on your axle. 20's are known for that. But if you put a one piece axle in, the amc20 is a pretty decent rear. I did mine about a year ago. No more problems coming from the rear diff.

Comment

well... after regearing, one peice shafts, and welding teh tubes.... also a locker sometime down the line, how much is htis going to cost compared to a new axel out of another jeep? there is a crysler salvage yard near here that might have some operrtunitys for a cheep rear-end.

Comment

Originally posted by climbtothebeet
          well... after regearing, one peice shafts, and welding teh tubes.... also a locker sometime down the line, how much is htis going to cost compared to a new axel out of another jeep? there is a crysler salvage yard near here that might have some operrtunitys for a cheep rear-end.

that depends on the rear end you get and what condition it's in. the amc 20 with good 1 piece shafts and welded tubes is stronger than a d44. you could look for an 8.8 out of an explorer or mountaineer, but you'll be in about the same cost or more since you already have the 20. if you're going to regear, do the locker at that point. you can replace the whole carrier anyway and it won't cost you a penny more. if you do it separately, you'll be paying double.

if it were me, i'd keep and upgrade the 20.

Comment

What year is your CJ if its narrow track axles then just go to a junkyard and get a 1970-1975 D44 out of a Cj they should be very cheap no more than 150.00 tops should be almost a direct bolt in. If you have widetrack then find yourself a scout D44 they are about 1.5 inches wider than the stock M20 but they will match your front as the front wide track axle is wider. Other options are Waggy D44's or AMC20HD, the waggy used a much heavier duy rear 20 axle with 1 piece shafts. The only thing with doing the waggy swap is re-drilling for the 5x5 1/2 pattern. I'd say to re-gear and re-build an axle your looking at around 500.00 price of the axle and gears included that is if someone builds it for you.

Comment

thanks for the sudjestions. just curious, how much do they usualy charge for a regear? just for labor?

Comment

Originally posted by climbtothebeet
                thanks for the sudjestions. just curious, how much do they usualy charge for a regear? just for labor?
                200-300 dollars ball park

Comment

Didn't you say your dad had knowledge on working on vehicles?
                  If you have some knowlege and you don't mind buying the tools it is not that hard to do your-self. The fist time is a bit tough but after that it is easy.
                  However, if you have no wanting to learn how to do this I can understand.
                  Here are pictures to the rear I just did.

But if you are going to pay someone else to do it. Get it all done at the same time.

Comment

If you decided to go with replacing the axels (which I would suggest vs. rolling another rear under it - just my $.02) track down Mjo79 on here ... he just put in a set of Mosers about a month ago and can tell you exactly what tools your going to need and how difficult it will be!

Comment

yeah, my dad does know alot about cars, but the one area hes not confadent in is axels. the reason i was wondering about regeering prices is i want it done right. but, if its pretty easy, maby ill look into doing it myself. it woulod be nice to know how to do that anyway. thanks for all your imput. i think im going to throw some one peicers in there right now, and later on after i get bigger tires ill re gear and throw in a locker.

Comment

Its pretty simple once you get into it to replace the axles ... regearing on the other hand ... real pain .... Good luck and let us know how it turns out ....

Comment

Originally posted by Bret
                          Its pretty simple once you get into it to replace the axles ... regearing on the other hand ... real pain .... Good luck and let us know how it turns out ....
                          I haven't got into the front yet, but I didn't think doing the rear was that hard. But I have to say if you don't have the right tools then it doesn't go well at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X