X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiper problems

As some of you might remember my CJ doesn't have doors nor roof but I still drive it around. But with the "nice" weather we had recently a working wiper would be great...

That's were the problem starts. I know that CJ wipers never really clean the windshield but they at least let you guess what's happening in front of you.

Mine permanently burn the fuse. It's like the work for two cycles and stop. I took them apart comletely, reassembled the whole thing but again: two cycles, burned fuse...

Any solutions on this?

Mine has done that forever. The the notch in the hardware that fits in the windshield is warn, and somehow prevents the windshield wipers from working. I have blown the fuse after the motor heated up (I didn't know the wipers were on until I smelled that electrical smell).

Probably not your issue, but I thought I'd let all know my wiper problem.

Comment

binding...

Toralf, disconnect the motor from the wiper mechanism and let it run to see if you have a binding problem (resulting in overcurrent) due to worn linkage, or if there is maybe an intermittent motor short.

You can order the entire linkage kit from 4WD. There is also a fancy aftermarket deal if you're interested.

http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?AC...ilename=ps.cgi

If that link doesn't work Google Wipeboy.

Comment

Also make sure you are not loosing your ground. This can also cause problems with the wipers.
        You might want to get the springs to hold the wiper to the windshield, our host sells them.

Comment

I'm not sure how the ground works/where it is on the wipers, but my wipers don't work if the big plastic thumbscrews that keep the windshield from folding forward aren't tight. Sometimes just tugging the windshield frame backwards is enough to get them to work. I assume that's part of the grounding, but now that I have a hard-top on, and the windshield is pushed further forward, wipers don't work. This probably didn't help you out at all, but oh well....... Alex

Comment

Originally posted by AlexCole View Post
            I'm not sure how the ground works/where it is on the wipers, but my wipers don't work if the big plastic thumbscrews that keep the windshield from folding forward aren't tight. Sometimes just tugging the windshield frame backwards is enough to get them to work. I assume that's part of the grounding, but now that I have a hard-top on, and the windshield is pushed further forward, wipers don't work. This probably didn't help you out at all, but oh well....... Alex
            could you make a small ground wire from the back of the motor and tuck it in behind the dash pad or something and put it under a dash mounting screw????

Comment

Hey Toralf, I had one motor that kept blowing fuses, turned out the wire harness was shorting out. It rubbed through the outer casing, cuasing a short, it was right where the wiring is pinched between the dash and windshield.

Bad ground may cuase it also. I have a complete wiper system, motor, linkage and the studs that go through the windshield frame. Let me know if you need any parts. The motor is the non-intermittent style, from an '80 CJ.

I know have the intermitent (sp?) wipers, man is that nice! Especially now, with the sloppy roads and cars spraying you all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                Toralf, disconnect the motor from the wiper mechanism and let it run to see if you have a binding problem (resulting in overcurrent) due to worn linkage, or if there is maybe an intermittent motor short.

You can order the entire linkage kit from 4WD. There is also a fancy aftermarket deal if you're interested.

http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?AC...ilename=ps.cgi

If that link doesn't work Google Wipeboy.
                Morgan, thanks for the link, that upgrade kit looks pretty good. Any experience with that one? I mean it is pretty reasonably priced. I love the idea of having a larger area cleaned...

I checked the motor seperately, works fine, turns forever... so it's the linkage as it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post
                  Hey Toralf, I had one motor that kept blowing fuses, turned out the wire harness was shorting out. It rubbed through the outer casing, cuasing a short, it was right where the wiring is pinched between the dash and windshield.

Bad ground may cuase it also. I have a complete wiper system, motor, linkage and the studs that go through the windshield frame. Let me know if you need any parts. The motor is the non-intermittent style, from an '80 CJ.

I know have the intermitent (sp?) wipers, man is that nice! Especially now, with the sloppy roads and cars spraying you all the time.
                  Randy, thanks for the offer, I will come back to ya if I need anything. As it looks from now I need the mechanical side, the motor works fine and the switch is new as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttzach View Post
                    could you make a small ground wire from the back of the motor and tuck it in behind the dash pad or something and put it under a dash mounting screw????

That's what I did. I have a fiberglass windshield and I grounded the motor right at one of the mounting bolts and tapped it to the wiper harness to fit down the hole in the tub. I then ground it to the dash.

Comment

I did the same

I just used a different wire to ground my wiper motor to the dash. The linkage as in any cj is really not the best setup in the world. If yours is anything like mine was then it was worn out from the 29 years of running. It sounds like a grounding issue though. Get your ground to work and then check all of the other wires to make sure that there is no wires that are crossed and put in the wrong area. One more thought, check the fuse box you may have the wrong fuse in the box. Make sure you put the right colored fuse in the box i think it is a yellow fuse?>
                      .T

Comment

Since my wires are new and the fuse is even larger than original the problem shouldn't be on that side. I will still make my own ground wire in addition, sounds like a good idea.
                        I think the real cause is the linkage itself... sounds like there's some testing on for Easter

Comment

didn't see you...

Originally posted by Toralf View Post
                          Morgan, thanks for the link, that upgrade kit looks pretty good. Any experience with that one?...
                          Sorry, Toralf, I didn't see this question earlier. No, I do not have personal experience with the Wipeboy stuff. I found that link one day after being so frustrated with the 'performance'...HAH...of Myrtle's wipers.

Penguin suggested the springs. After you cure your linkage ills, the springs are probably the most performance enhancing thing you can do to the stock wiper arrangement, and they don't cost that much.

Post back up if you go with the Wipeboy stuff.

Comment

Morgan, no problem.

I already have those springs on my wipers, I used the ones that were on my 8x8, so they hold down pretty good

Comment

Working...
                            X