X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj tranny q's

Hello everyone. new to this site. I am starting to do a rebuild with my daughter who will be sixteen in a year. This is what we started with. 79cj7 304 3spd dana 20 standard front axle and rear axle. 3inch susp. lift. 33inch bfgs. rotten frame and opps the body was worse than i thought. well anyway i have a fiberglass tub know. found a real good deal. my question is i would like to switch to a automatic. i found a torqueflite 904/999 it was mated to a 6cyl. will this bolt up to the 304. the tranny comes with torq. converter and flexplate from the 6cyl. he tells me the tail shaft has a round pattern not texas style. please help. thank you.

Hey mrhuge, welcome to the forums! Sounds like a great project!

I can't help much on the engine to tranny fit, but I believe the D20 T-case is the 'texas style' bolt pattern, the round style tranny would take the D300 T-case, or an adapter to fit your D20. The D300 is very similar to the D20 and is a passenger side drop also, so it would be an easy swap on that end.

If you could post some pics it would help. Great to hear you and your daughter are working together on this!!!

Comment

thanks hill bill e. we should have some fun. i will try and get some pics this weekend and learn how to post.

Comment

mrhuge welcome to the board. i'm running a amc 401 and 727 t/f. 304 is the same bolt pattern as the 401. 727 bell housing bolted right up, i had to get an adapter from advance adapters for the tranny to dana 20 tranfer case. and yes like stated above the 20 has the texas bolt pattern.
        i might be willing to part with an adapter that goes from the tranny to the dana 300., for a price.

Comment

thanks 1tuffcj. I am looking at the tf904 which had the dana 300 behind it. mine is the dana 20. I think i will just leave the manual in and try and teach her how to drive the stck. this could be scary. but thanks for the help.

Comment

I will take your auto

Comment

If it was mated to an AMC 6 cyl, it will bolt to the AMC V8s as the bellhousing pattern is the same. You will need the V8 Flywheel/flexplate as the balance is different.

Since the Tranny has the round pattern, you may want to find a used Dana 300 as it would probably be cheaper to buy one of those than to buy the adapter to mate the tranny to the 20.

in either case, expect the driveshaft length to change as the autos are all longer than the manual transmissions used in Jeeps.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym View Post
                If it was mated to an AMC 6 cyl, it will bolt to the AMC V8s as the bellhousing pattern is the same. You will need the V8 Flywheel/flexplate as the balance is different.

Since the Tranny has the round pattern, you may want to find a used Dana 300 as it would probably be cheaper to buy one of those than to buy the adapter to mate the tranny to the 20.

in either case, expect the driveshaft length to change as the autos are all longer than the manual transmissions used in Jeeps.

x2. the 999 with a d300 is a good combo and you dont have to buy adapters, they can be found fairly cheap as well. check out bulltear.com, they might have the flywheel (actually a flexplate, flywheel is for manual trans) you need, or 4wdh may even have the flexplate too. definitely make sure it is for a 304, as previously stated, I6, 304, 360, 401 are all balanced differently and require an application specific flexplate

Comment

keep in mind that the AMC 304 is externally balanced.

Comment

Thanks guys. This info will help out. I am trying to figure out which would be more cost efective. the change over or buying the clutch kit and turning the flywheel. i am going to attempt the mounting of the tub tommorow. with what i found on this site. thanks agian.

Comment

Buying a clutch kit and turning the flywheel would be worlds way cheaper than swapping in an auto. Just the drive shaft length changes alone would cost more than a clutch kit, and you can usually find someone to turn a flywheel for < $40.

Besides, the daughter should learn to drive a stick regardless. It is a necessary skill. And if her boyfriend ever drives her jeep it will give him something constructive to do with his hands as opposed to what teenagers normally do with them.

Comment

hey tracraym you have a good point. i finally talked the wife into leaving it a stick set up. I drive semi so i agree everybody should learn to drive a stick. AND ABOUT THE BOYFRIEND WHO SAYS SHE IS GOING TO HAVE ONE. The dog and me shall take of that end.

Comment

I'd agree with keeping it stick. It will also help keeping her from trying too much off road. Not that we want that, just not right away. Teens and auto trans off road usually equals getting into places that they really shouldn't be in just yet.

The stick will limit some of that until she become fairly adept at feathering the clutch and gas.

I wish someone would have taught my wife how to drive stick so she didn't have to practice in my CJ

Comment

I agree. My wife did not know how either until we got together. I am still a little nervous about teaching the daughter though. Not that i cant teach her but rather she is growing up.

Comment

If my wife knew how to drive a stick I wouldnt be looking for an auto right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X