Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Relay

81' CJ-7 W/ 258
    The starter relay has 4 post on it, two big ones and two small. My question is what wires connect to the two small ones? Right now I have a Light Blue wire going to the right small post which runs up in the cab somewhere, the left post has nothing. Sorry everyone, I tore it apart without properly marking things and want to get it back together this weekend. Doesn't there need to be an ignition power on one of these to engage the relay? Thanks.

you should have ignition power signal, a ground, and a starter signal wire, if im not mistaken, someone correct me if im wrong

Comment

Don't know about a ground..what post does this go on? I thought it may have been grounded through the mounts..Let me know..

Comment

mine has a post on the bottom for ground, but im runnin a 304 not a 258, im gonna say that there different by the sounds of it, ill take a look tomorrow when i go to my garage and ill take a pic

Comment

If you have a glass fender it needs to be grounded through the mount.

Comment

wirering a soliniod

the lite blue wire comes from the ign. switch, which opens the relay when you turn the key.
            The wire that feeds your coil is hooked into the other post, from the ign. switch also. The wires are spliced together in the harness along the fire wall.

Comment

Well actually the solenoid closes when you turn the key to the START position. This is the blue wire that goes to the terminal marked "s". The other terminal marked "I" is for the ignition and goes to the (+) side of the ignition coil to bypass the resistance wire when starting.

The solenoid with the extra terminal on the bottom is for automatic trannies. Its for the park/neutral interlock. It can be used as a ground connection for the solenoid if you want to otherwise the normal solenoids have to be grounded through the mounting holes.

Comment

Working...
              X