X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing steering column

Im stuck im trying to remove the steering column off my 1980 CJ-7 and can't get it off can anyone help. im ready to take the body off and the column is holding me up.

Where won't it come apart?

Comment

im guessing were the cloumn attaches to the shaft going into the gear box i have unscrewed the bolt to the im guessing the c-clamp but nothing.
      Last edited by gunney1; 03-25-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

If its like my 86 cj theres a nylon pin that holds the two pieces of steering shaft together, under the hood. The shaft is made to colapse in case of a front impact. Just melt the pin out with a propane torch and it should pull right apart.

Comment

Did you remove the bolt completely at the bottom of the column, there is a grove in the end of the spline shaft in the end of the column.

Comment

thanks redtail i will try that.

Comment

Is That How You Get The Pins Out(melting) Now I Know Too

Comment

I got the tip here when I couldnt get mine apart during my rebuild. Might of been Hillbilly who recomended, but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by redtail View Post
                  I got the tip here when I couldnt get mine apart during my rebuild. Might of been Hillbilly who recomended, but not sure.
                  Not me, but a neat idea.

Gunney, pull the bolt out of the clamp, as mentioned, shoot some PB blaster on it, then you should be able to pry it off.

Use some never sieze when you put it back together, it will come apart easier next time.

It's a Jeep, there will be a next time!

Comment

HB, thanks for posting. I ended up spliting mine in both places, The bolt not getting pulled was also an issue for me. But we couldnt get it split there even after it was pulled. We finially got it all apart after the whole mess was pulled out.NEVER SIEZE, ELIIXIR of the JEEP GODS.If youre hands aint grey youre gay. LOL
                    Last edited by redtail; 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Well, anti-seize and lock-tite both. If your overhauling that column, don't forget the lock-tite on those four base bolts! It will keep your steering wheel from wobbling. And a double endorsement on the anti-seize on the shaft splines. I had to recently overhaul my column, and I had put it on there years before, so it was no problem at all!

Comment

If you loosen the bolts where the shaft goes through the firewall..4 of them. Once loose, you pull back on the wheel and it gives you the separation to pull the splines apart. Without loosening it, there is no way to get slack to pull it out. Once you pull, it should just drop off.

Comment

thanks guys i will try with the ideals you gave me i will let you know how it goes. this steering column is shot so i will replace it.

Comment

Working...
                          X