X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure in 1972 304 motor

I don't have any oil pressure at idle about 20 psi at 50 mph no noise or ticking runs great 72 304 tried mech guage from napa still no pressure on guage jeep is a 74 cj-5 that sat for 10 years does anyone have any ideas i could check before buying alot of different parts that i might not need

On the oil filter housing there is a spring loaded "valve" for lack of a better work. If you remove the bolt there should be a long spring and a plunger that may be stuck.

Comment

oil pressure woes...

Welcome to the board, Linkwhy. The 304 is infamous for oil pressure troubles. You'll have to join their board to get into the forum reading but this site is loaded with whys, why nots, and what to does. And they know their stuff about AMC motors. Take a look see: http://bulltear.com/

Comment

Low oil pressure

I have a very rusty '79 CJ 7 with a 304 and T-18. I also have low oil pressure. About 2 psi. at idle and maybe 20 psi. at 70 mph. The engine has well over 100,000 miles on it and doesn't make any unusual noise. I might rebuild it someday or even replace it with a 401. Right now I'm in the process of restoring my '81 CJ 5. So I'll just drive the CJ 7 the way it is until she quits.

Comment

Ah yes, the oil pressure thread! It's been a while since the last one. Try to search for "oil pressure" and I am sure your will see millions of threads going back to Moses and the Red Sea.

Sorry about the oil pressure problem, hope you can rectify it!

Comment

In my CJ it's only the gauge that's not reading well, it shows about 20 psi no matter what rpm range I am in... but it reads correctly and shows 0 psi when I shot the engine off

Comment

Originally posted by Toralf View Post
              In my CJ it's only the gauge that's not reading well, it shows about 20 psi no matter what rpm range I am in... but it reads correctly and shows 0 psi when I shot the engine off
              LOL, that is exactly what mine is doing. Let me know if you fix it.

Comment

AMC v-8 are notorioous for having low oil pressures... especially at an idle.

one problem can be the valve as suggested previously, the other can also be the timing cover assembly...

there is actually a clearance min and max spec for the oil pump gear assembly in the timing housing... with older engines this area sometimes get a bit worn out. The only way to fix that is to actually replace the complete timing cover assembly with a new one.

if you ever get a chance and take it apart, check the clearances of the gears to the sidewalls inside that assembly...

Comment

Working...
                X