X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM HEI vs DUI ???

Can anybody explain the difference between these two distributors? They seem to end up with the same results, unless I'm missing something, and the DUI is ALOT more $$$.
    Thanks for the help.

by the way, this is for a 304 amc

DUI is a performance HEI, while the proform is stock. I run a DUI and do like it. But, if I were building again I would give the Proform a try. Not really alot to do wrong as long as it does not have the cheap gears some people talk about tearing thier cams up.

Comment

Usually it is the coil voltage, 30,000 for the GM (unless it is the certain Corvette coils), 50,000 for the performance.

Either one is a big step up from the factory 12,000 volts.

These are all max. voltage and usually not reached under standard driving conditions.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. after doing some more reading, both claim to produce 50k volts (gm performance coil), but the DUI claims to be the "performance" dist. The GM is $99 and the DUI is $380. Do you think there is that much quality difference between the two?

both are listed on 4wd website. I'm just having a hard time justifying almost 4 times the cost for the same result, unless one has a clear advantage.
        Last edited by Ned; 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

The only difference I expect you to find would be in the service department. DUI stands behind thier products and supports them. Proform, though is a great deal. I would call them and ak about the distributor gear, making sure its not a taiwan metal. At least that would give you a glimpse of thier support team first hand.

Comment

things you can't see...

I'm thinking that the rotating 'wear' parts of the DUI internals are probably superior. Also, if the DUIs are made in the USA, and the Proform or 4WD DA series are Chinese...well, we all know what's going on there.

Comment

One other thing to consider is if you happen to have a problem down the road a GM replacement part would be readily available whereas the DUI would not. My $.02...

Comment

DUI's can use all stock HEI parts. You just wont get the performance upgrade from these stock replacement parts.

Comment

Working...
                X