X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel question

OK I just picked up a 2005 5.3l vortec motor to put in my CJ.

Guy dropped the motor off today. It came out of a Chevy Sliverado with an automatic trans.

I have been looking at flywheels since the beast needs one and have one question.

I can either go with a steel 30-35 lb one or an aluminum one at about 18 lbs.

Is there any advantage with one over the other for a Jeep?

I assume the race group would go the light weight rout for quick RPM but I was thinking that might help a jeep too.

Also less weight should = higher MPG

Looking for advice or at least opinions

Thank

Louis

A lighter flywheel allows the engine to tach up faster, and when you are running a radical cam with the power band at a higher RPM, it makes perfect sense.

IMHO the ideal cam and flywheel combination for a Jeep is one that maximizes the low end "Grunt" of the motor i.e. torque at lower RPM.

Also a heavier flywheel will result in less engine vibration for a smoother idle and a more pleasurable driving experience.

Comment

i think i would go with the heavy one. more rotating mass=being able to lug at low rpm's.......

Comment

go steel all the way...unless you plan on replacing the flywheel with every oil change...racing parts are bad news on a vehicle that drives more than a few hours before a rebuild

Comment

Working...
        X