X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

OK, so I am new at this Jeep thing but learning quickly.

Here is my question.

I see about 50% of the jeeps and other lifted trucks etc running around with shocks that have the small shaft end of the shock hooked to the top bracket. The other half have the large end up top.

I installed a new set of shocks and put them in the way the old ones came out. Big end on top, small shaft on bottom with a boot around it.

It would seem to me to keep dirt out of the shock this is the way to go.

Why install them upside down?

Thanks

Comment

It stems from the practice of days gone bye. Original shocks were oil filled and not sealed as well as gas filled shocks of today. They were placed large end down to prevent the fluid from leaking out of the shock. They say now, with the current tech as it is, it doesn't really matter which end goes up. I don't know if that is entirely true, so I went with the old style. Maybe you should contact Rancho or some other shock company and find out for sure.

Comment

don't some of the older wranglers have some kind of dumb top mount for the shocks...i could've swore i saw a conversion for it

Comment

Shocks

Well I put mine on right side up with the boot on the bottom.

The old ones looked like they had been there all of 20 years and were not leaking oil so I figure the new ones will last 10.

Also I would think it is better for them when you off road a lot so the mud falls off the shaft when the shock compresses rather than trying to get packed in if the shcok was upside down.

Thanks for the education.http://forums.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforu.../deadhorse.gif

Comment

right side up?

Originally posted by louism58 View Post
            Well I put mine on right side up with the boot on the bottom...
            I recently installed new shocks on Myrtle, Louis. The shocks came with the metal protection tube made around the shaft section, so, no boot is necessary. Anyway, if you install this shock with the shaft down, the shaft protector will fill up with whatever is available, i.e. sand, mud, water, etc.

Comment

The ones mounted shaft end down are usually Monotube Gas shocks and can be run upside down, and most even work better upside down. If you have a hydraulic or a shock that specifically says to mount it shaft end down, mount the shaft end at the top.

Comment

depends on the brand of shock dude. I recently had a skyjacker suspension lift installed in my jeep and the yahoo's that installed it put my shocks on up-side down, resulting in a HORRIBLY ROUGH RIDE. So I called skyjacker to find out what was up, and they advised me that the SKYJACKER brand is designed to work one way, and one way only. I have seen other jeeps, like you mentioned earlier, running shocks either way. Oh, and its just my opinion, but Im not impressed with the skyjacker shocks anyway ... right side up or upside down , lol. I hear good things about Rancho 9000's, i think i may try them next. Good luck Bro !!

Comment

Replacing shocks

My CJ had Rancho 9000's but they were shot so 2 have been replaced with stock shocks. I want to replace them all. My cj has a 5.5 custom over spring lift kit, so do I buy the ones for a 2.5" lift? 4wd has some on sale, or do I go to the normal priced ones and look for something for a 5.5" lift? A friend said just get 16 inch shocks. I know there's a post around here somewhere on how to measure for the correct length shock...

Comment

OK, I got Old Man EMU shocks to install, big side up?

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigan55 View Post
                      My CJ had Rancho 9000's but they were shot so 2 have been replaced with stock shocks. I want to replace them all. My cj has a 5.5 custom over spring lift kit, so do I buy the ones for a 2.5" lift? 4wd has some on sale, or do I go to the normal priced ones and look for something for a 5.5" lift? A friend said just get 16 inch shocks. I know there's a post around here somewhere on how to measure for the correct length shock...

You will have to measure and see if you can get away with a stock shock.
                      It is easy to measure.
                      Jack up one corner of your jeep(the frame not the axle).
                      When the tire gets to the point of free floating you need to get this measurement. This is your extended measurement.
                      Then you need to jack up the other side. Measure the compressed side(opposite side of the jack, same side you measured in the first step).
                      This will give you your compressed measurement.
                      Do the same for the rear.
                      Of course you need to do this with no shocks on it.

Comment

Sometimes it is stamped on the tube " this sidedown". My new Black diamonds have nothing stamped. Will put the tube side down as I always have.
                        Edit. The hydralic or gas charged tube side down.
                        Last edited by redtail; 04-10-2008, 08:27 AM.

Comment

yes...

Originally posted by scobar View Post
                          OK, I got Old Man EMU shocks to install, big side up?
                          Originally posted by blackwater View Post
                          ...Anyway, if you install this shock with the shaft down, the shaft protector will fill up with whatever is available, i.e. sand, mud, water, etc.

Comment

Penguin, measuring for shocks

Okay, so I jack up my jeep frame, with no shocks on it and measure "it". What is "it?" From the axle to the frame?

Also, when the jeep is compressed, have I jacked up both sides of the frame? Like a jack on both sides of the rear of the frame, and then measure from axle to frame?

I had to be so thick, but I'm a newbie, with little technical knowledge. Please be specific.

Comment

Ok, measure the points at which the shock attaches. Bolt to bolt.
                              You only want to jack up one side at a time. This will give you your two most important measurements Compressed and Extended. You can then call 4wd with these and they can help you out if you need special shocks. I don't know if they can get the special shocks or not.
                              If you are unclear as how to jack up the jeep look for any of the flex pictures and you will get the idea of what I am talking about.

Here are two, I didn't jack it up because I wasn't measuring here but it will give you an idea.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x/P2010002.jpg
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x/P2010001.jpg
                              And this one you can see what I mean by droop.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../flex/Drop.jpg
                              Notice no shock?
                              Measure from the bolt to the point where it mounts to the axle.

Comment

Working...
                              X