X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Manifold/Header on Reman Engine

Recently just replaced the engine with a remanufactured engine and put headers on. Runs great, but there is a leak where the forward portion of the header attaches to the block. It does run pretty hot thought, just below the "H", and it is only 20-30 degrees now...

The guys at the dealership have tried to fix it once, and are at it again, but was curious if any of you have had experience with this.

The dealership thinks that when the reman guys re-drilled the exhaust mainifold bolt holes, they went too deep and hit a water line that runs through the block.

1) is this something that can be fixed?
    2) If they try and seal it with teflon, do they run the risk of completely shutting off that water line and causing damage to the top of the engine?

Thanks in advance!
    TD

Is it the flange of the header that is leaking or the actual holes for the flngee bolt. If it is the flange it may warped.

Comment

it is actually the holes that are causing the leak. Can these be sealed up with teflon without risking totally plugging the waterline that is the source of the leak? thanks for the help.

Comment

Why don't you take it back to the place the place of purchase and tell them about your problem, there must be some sort of warranty. I would at least demand a new head or heads if you have a v8.

Comment

Pipe Thread Sealer

Just Last Week I Had To Drill Out A Bolt For The Exhaust Manifold On A 97 Chevrolet Lumina. Went Way Too Deep. To Stop The Water From Coming Out I Used Pipe Thread Sealant. Some Head Bolts Require It On Instalation. It Worked, So Far So Good

Comment

caring, if you were in my shoes with some room to leverage the warrenty and newness of the install, would you accept the thread sealer as a fix or push for a replacement of the head?

Thanks,
            TD

Comment

push to get the head replaced. if you're going to wimp out and are scared to ask for it to be replaced, use some jb weld and redrill it or use teflon tape.

Comment

Originally posted by WVUBlue80CJ
                caring, if you were in my shoes with some room to leverage the warrenty and newness of the install, would you accept the thread sealer as a fix or push for a replacement of the head?

Thanks,
                TD
                If I could I would get a new head. Nothing is as good as a fix as somthing that does not need to be fixed.

Comment

JB weld

I do not know about the JBWeld. I am not sure if the JB Weld will Expand and contract as your head heats up. over time it may work free for head

Comment

Working...
                  X