Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Swampers: TSL vs SSR

ok ok.... another question about tires:

im getting a set of super swampers soon and have it narrowed down to TSLs or SSRs. I love the looks of both. my question is how much of a difference in mileages can I get on each. Im thinking the SSRs will go further since they are a radial tire. If there is a big diference I will go with the SSRs and spend the money. but if not ill take the TSLs since in the long run they wont be cheaper. Give me your 2cents! THanks

asc

if you're plannin' on more road than off, i'd say stick to the radial's. better traction w/ the closer lug's and they woun't be lumped up on a cold mornin' like a bias ply tire. which TSL are you goin' w/ just the TSL or the steel side wall or the TSL radial. if you want a radial while keepin' the wide lug pattern than you get the best of both worlds w/ the TSL radial. personally i'd go w/ the super swamper SSR's. what size are you thinkin' of runnin'? g'day

Comment

Thats all true, I would go with the TSL radials. I plan on getting some in the future, and since I drive to work and school more than I go offroading then that is my best bet.

Comment

The TSL Radial will also be a quieter tire on-road. My 33" TSL RAdials on my TJ are significantly quieter than the 235 SSRs on my XJ

Comment

it would probably help if i told you the size im going with 33x12.5 . If I went with the TSLs id go with the bias ply. I have looked into the TSL radials and I dont really like them because they run small on the 33 size. THe overall diameter is only like 32.7 when the SSRs are 33.4 I want the biggest tire since im downgrading from 35s to 33s. Is it worth the extra $45 bucks a tire for the SSRs?

My guesses were maybe 15K mi. on the TSL and 20K mi with the SSR- sound about right?

asc

Comment

Originally posted by asc
            My guesses were maybe 15K mi. on the TSL and 20K mi with the SSR- sound about right?asc
            With the 35s on my CJ, I went with the SSRs and ran them close to 40k with a lot of road driving. My buddy did the same on a full size Bronco and he got about 20k out of his. Jeeps don't weigh much so I'd like to think you could do a heck of a lot better than 20k.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by LrdJeffson
              Originally posted by asc
              My guesses were maybe 15K mi. on the TSL and 20K mi with the SSR- sound about right?asc
              With the 35s on my CJ, I went with the SSRs and ran them close to 40k with a lot of road driving. My buddy did the same on a full size Bronco and he got about 20k out of his. Jeeps don't weigh much so I'd like to think you could do a heck of a lot better than 20k.

Dave
              I agree with Dave- I run TSL bias plies almost exclusively, and 15K mi is a bit optimistic.

Comment

yea I posted this question on another board and there were also many people getting 30K-40K on the SSRs . That shocked me but I guess LrdJeffson is right jeeps are very light compared to full size trucks and all. Im going to spend my money on the SSRs . They should do well on the trails and mud I go Thanks for your help

asc

Comment

Now put on a glass tub and flat fender it....you'll be getting 50k+ :bn:

Dave

Comment

I sell the Swampers every day and also run the SSR's on my wifes YJ. She is running the 33x14.50x15's right now and has over 20k on them and they are still not half gone.

There is a big difference between TSL Radials and TSL SSR's. The SSR's will make the least road noise and ride the best. They are most definately worth the extra money. We can run the Jeep at 80 mph and, other than the noise, you would never know we had swampers.

Please understand, they are still SWAMPERS and therefore do not ride like an all terrain or street tire, but they are 1000 times better than regular TSL's.

Comment

Working...
                    X