X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 TJ Banks Cat-back Install

I just got my Banks Cat-back and I'm having trouble getting the old muffler off of the Cat. I started to take off the skid plate when I realized, or at least what seemed like, it was holding the transfer case up. The brack that connects the muffler and cat is right above the t-case skid plate. How do I get these apart to put my new system in? As far as I see it right now I need to drop the t-case to get to it but it just seems like this should be eaiser than that. The cat is welded on one side and has a two bolt bracket on the other side that connects to the muffler. Any one that's installed a cat back on a like model with some advice would be awesome.

It Is Easier To Get To If You Drop The Skid Plate. Put A Jack Under The Tranny To Hold The Tranny And Case Up.

Comment

badtj is right, thats what i did when i put my banks cat back on.

drop the plate, support the t-case with a jack, then go to town.
      my old muffler was rusted to the cat so i took a sledge hammer and a small block of wood and gave it some hell.
      hope you like the new sound dude

Comment

Hammer And Wood Is Old School But Works Well. Air Hammer .

Comment

oooh air hammer, now thats sexy lol

Comment

SAWZALL!!! lol.. i put the banks on my 02... I just used the wonder tool and cut it off and removed the stock exhaust... if i remember right.. after that i wipped out my grinder and ground the bolts off... much quicker that way

Comment

Sawzall x2.
              just have some extra blades with you, probably just me doing it bass ackwards but i went through a few blades. I got a flowmaster but still had to do some work with the cat anyway. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Balboa1798 View Post
                SAWZALL!!! lol.. i put the banks on my 02... I just used the wonder tool and cut it off and removed the stock exhaust... if i remember right.. after that i wipped out my grinder and ground the bolts off... much quicker that way
                When I installed this on my 06, I had to drop the tcase to remove those bolts that connect the muffler to the cat ,their is no need to sawsall anything. That is the only way unless you have elastic arms lol. Trust me the hard work is worth it as your Jeep will sound pretty mean with this kit on it!

Comment

I have this kit as well, and I agree it sounds great. I did, like Justin06, drop the skid on the t-case and did not have to cut anything. As with any job, take your time and it will go just fine. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  X