X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken shock

i looked under my jeep the other day and i noticed that the shock that connects to the right side of the rear axel had broken off. the bracket thats welded to the axel had rusted off and broken in half. now the shock is just hanging there. what is it that broke and is it ok to be driving around on it untill i eventually get it fixed?

Are they stock shocks? If they are maybe it wouldn't be a good idea because you have a 3" body lift and 33's, you are sitting pretty high and probably has a lot of body roll. I would think that it is kind of dangerous without that shock helping the body roll because you could loose control. It might not be that much of a problem of safety, but not haveing that shock is added stress on the rest of the chassis.

Now you asked if it would be ok to drive on it, the question is do you HAVE to drive the jeep. If you have vehicle to get around with I would suggest using it until you can fix that shock.

My opinion on fixing it:
    I would get shock mount relocators made by Nth Degree Mobility , loose the body lift and replace it with a 3" 4WDH kit.

Or just by the origional braket and weld it on depending on your $ $ situation.

Comment

the shock mount isn't to great cheesy lite metal get some heavty plate cut and weld some new ones on. its fine to drive for the time being but the ride maybe rough.

Comment

Broken the LEFT bracket in half TWICE. Never knew until I looked underneath. Have NO idea how long either time I drove on it. I had 32s on it. This was BEFORE I lifted the wrangler.

Comment

me too. this thing could of been snapped for a year i have no idea. it drives fine now, is it even worth worrying about because after this comming summer im gettin rid of it?

Comment

Broken but not forgotten

Gotta be some reason Jeep put the shocks on in the 1st place. I would stop by a local welding shop & have them weld it up. If u are lucky it will be "pull it in, they jack it up, weld the bracket back on". Now no wories or lost sleep.

Comment

a buddy in my local group has broke a total of 3 rear mounts... after the third he welded 3/8 stock to the flat side... its too early to tell you that fixed it but 3/8s is prolly 1/4 inch thicker than the bracket...
              my rears are relocated to bottom of the springs...

Comment

i was looking at it the other day and the entire shock mount is just complete rust. i dont even think you can weld it back on. does a new one need to be made then?

Comment

Working...
                X