X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Economy

GOOD LUCK, TAKE CARE. Best wishes to ya all. Were in for a rough ride.

I hear ya Red - My usual pessimistic attitude about going to work has changed to one of thankfulness. Just glad to be able to pay the bills.

Comment

I've had quite a few friends laid off from their jobs. The neighbor was a high paid superintendent for the largest land developer in the area, hope he gets to keep his house. I'm fortunate that my position is secure, but my hopes of retiring in the next 8-9 years with $1,000,000 in my 401K has been adjusted to 10-12 years with $300,000 - $400,000. I've lost over $220,00 the past 14 months. Rode that sucker all the way down the hill!

Comment

I've been workin harder at work latley. Don't need to ta keep my job (work for a utility) but feel an obligation to. The purse strings have been pulled at the plant. There buying nothing, make do with what we got. Some guy's don't get it. They just keep sittin on there lazy ARSES and *****in bout everything. If they dropped there Newspapers and actually did there jobs for once the place would be a whole lot better off. YA RIGHT. WIFEY and I are in a good place, early 50's, frugal, and all bills paid off. Not bragin, took years and hard work to get here. No fancy vacations, no going out for dinner 3 times a week, none of that stuff going on here. Know a party boy at age 45 who quit his puter job 2 years ago to FIND HIMSELF. Guess what ,he still dosn't have a job and there are not all the fancy Christmas lights hanging on his house this year. I wish ya all LUCK, I think the road ahead is goinn ta be a ruff one for us all. Wifey and I are dug in, Trucks are up to snuff, house is structurelly well, and have all the very little goodies of life we want, which arn't many. As long as I can keep the frige full of cold brewski's and meat We'll be fine. TAKE CARE YA'LL.

Comment

It's the same over here, the unemployment rate is growing, many people I know lost their jobs or got temporarely laid off.
          But it's still not as bad yet as it is on your side.
          I wish you all the best and hold my fingers crossed!

Comment

I'm in my third week of work at my new position, after being unemployed for 6 months. Just in time for Christmas! Unfortunately, the company is furloughing everyone for two weeks for the holidays (just use your vacation time - like I've got any after spending 6 months unemployed).
            And my hopes of retirement are now converted to hoping I can work for McDonald's as an old, tottery geezer to supplement my Social Security, as my 401k with it's company-directed options has tanked, costing me about half it's value.
            Merry Frickin' Christmas Ho Ho Ho.

Comment

After closing the doors to my business back in May, haven't had a paycheck since February, I'm finally going back to work, starting next Monday, one week from today. Fortunately, like Redtail, wife and I are pretty frugal, been able to get by on savings and wife's income and still keep up on bills, selling some now unneeded tools helped also. Gotta admit, though, I was starting to get nervous.

I heard one economist predict this December to be rock bottom, heard some others say rock bottom will hit in 3 to 4 months from now. Let's hope it's soon, either way.

Comment

got a friend whose dad was an accountant in the sears tower for some huge company, i dont remember which one cause i havnt talked to them in almost two years but they lived in a huge million dollar house. her dad has a chilled wine cellar in the basement thats bigger then the biggest room in my house. i heard threw a friend that the company told her dad to either retire or get fired. i highly doubt he'll be drinking a $100 bottle of wine with his dinner every night anymore

Comment

extra jobs...

I started robbing liquor stores on the weekends. It's a good second income, but it gets a little more exciting than I'd hoped for at times. (I no longer have a rear window in my getaway car...)

NOCHEEP, I hear you on the 'savings'. I finally opened my 401K statement after letting it sit on the desk for the last month or so. I wish I hadn't done that.

I saw a joke in an e-mail where an old woman had won the Nobel prize in economics for burying her money in a piggy bank in the backyard.

Comment

I"ve been retired for three years now and that first of the month check don't go to far these days. I'm just glad my wife works for the school system and I'm on her insurance plan.
                    We have lost $25,000 a year sence I retired, half of our old wages. I would of stayed working if I would of none what we were in for. Now theres no jobs to be found around me or I would get a part time job. Or take a medal detector around some of these old abanded houses to look for jars of money buryed
                    Last edited by brownrc; 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Been unemployed since August, still haven't found anything. The only thing that saved me, was I cashed out my 401k right before the market took a dump, so I lucked out there!

VERY few jobs avalible, I can't even seem to find anything out of field for the time being, their just arent any jobs out there!

Comment

I guess I'm glad I'm in the military. My wife and I are sweeping up change to get Rays Axles. Figured spreading the wealth around the old fashoned way would be good.

Comment

Luckily, my wife's got a good job. She's the credit manager where she works, as long as the company doesn't tank, she'll have work.

We've been pretty frugal also, we live on my VA disibility and pensions, and save most of her check.

We don't go out and party anymore, and eating out is a once/twice a month thing.

Luckily we did 90% of our Christmas shopping this summer, so big expense right now.

I did put some money back into the economy, bought a Bushmaster AR-15 this week. Just a little insurance against our new 'Change' coming around.

Comment

There ain't no body taking away anybodys guns. Don't know where this CRAP started? Got plenty stached around here.

Comment

Originally posted by redtail View Post
                              There ain't no body taking away anybodys guns. Don't know where this CRAP started? Got plenty stached around here.

I think it would be safe to say that the Clinton Assault weapon ban will be reinasted by March of '09. In addition, the sales tax on ammunition will increase, especially on those calibers that are favored semi-auto loads. I don't have, and personally don't want a full auto or semi-auto weapon besides my sidearm. However I shoot a 30-06 bolt, but will be taxed because that is a favorite auto caliber.

But it's all gonna be ok. The new prez will fix everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X