X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Anyone good with brakes???

I have a '97 Wrangler with the 2.5L four and auto trans going on 106,000 miles. Just recently, I noticed a repetitive squeak from the driver's-side front wheel. The squeaking speeds up as the Jeep speeds up, and it completely goes away when I'm not moving. Interestingly, it also goes away when I press the brake (even just slightly), even when the Jeep's still moving.

What do y'all make of that? Does it indeed have to do with the brakes? If so, what is it? And can a novice like me fix it? (Detailed descriptions appreciated!)

Thanks!!!
    - New but LOYAL Jeep owner

jack the front end up pull that tire off and check your pads, sounds like your down to the metal rivets on the pad if so just go get some more think a front set is like 40 bux for both sides. really simple to replace, just don't hit the brake pedal while you have the caliper off of the rotor or it will be a nightmare to open it back up enough to get it back over the rotor.

Comment

Mine squeeks too, but I checked my pads and they still have alot on them.

Comment

Pads first but harmonics can also cause a nasty squek. when you replace the pads put the disc brake anti squek on the back side of the pad it really does help.

Comment

could be the bearing...might just wanna check that.

Comment

Yeah man, if I had to put money down, I'd say it was your pads. Thats not something specific to Jeeps, but just all cars that have Disc Brakes. If you dont know how to swap out your pads, I am sure you can find the info online or someone here can give you a step by step (Chiltons Manuals from auto parts stores are great for this).

Dont be paniced about the idea of doin them yourself, it will take you about an hour per wheel if your new at it. And you could save $100's on labor.

On most cars its as simple as taking the wheel off, take off the caliper, remove the old pads, compress the caliper, clip in the new pads, bolt the caliper back on, put the wheel on, repeat for the other side. Its really pretty easy. But I havent had the pleasure of doing my jeeps yet, just my old cars.

Comment

THANKS... but.....

I guess I could understand the squeaking if the pads are worn. But the squeaking happens ALL THE TIME and actually GOES AWAY WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS PRESSED.

Can brake-wear do this? How can a worn brake-pad cause squeaking when it's not even engaged? (Sorry for my ignorance!)

Comment

I think your throwing a "curve" at everyone by defining the front area of your Jeep. We know on here over the course of events; that certain items on the unit that do not see grease properly will squeak!. For eg; when was the last time you greased the C/V between the 2 u-joints on the front drive shaft; at the Transfer case location?. You cannot see it unless your main skid plate is dropped. You state this happens when moving; and this for sure could be your prime culprit!. Check this item out and let us know?

Comment

is it a squeal, all the time. or does it squeak, squeak, squeak? sounds like a warnning that the brake pad it getting low to me. do you have little pieces of metal on each pad? on the ends? i would change the pads even though you feel there are plenty of pad left it will go way if it is the pads.... if it don't then a u-joint could be the problem.. i would do the brakes first cheapest and easiest to do....

Comment

pads, pads, pads

There is an awful lot of talk about pads! What about warped rotors? A warped rotor will rub on the pad making the noise being described. Especially if they are cheapies from AutoZone.

Comment

Wheel bearing would be my guess. Unless like Tony said a warped rotor, but a warped rotor would raise heck with the steering when you applied the brake. A wheel bearing will stop squeaking when the brake is applied because the pressue on it changes.
                      Could also be a hunk of something stuck in your pad.
                      I would pull the brakes, if you don't find anything go deeper until you do. Could be a U-joint in the axle if they were drying out, but again I think you would feel this in the steering.

Comment

I would agree with the Wheel bearing/hub peoples....
                        My buddy has a 2001 TJ with about 45K, he came to me and said let's take a ride, I have this noise and it is tough to describe.
                        Well, He was having the same problem you are having, but it started at around 15 miles and hour and stopped at 40. It was so quiet, I could barely hear it. I told him he was nuts at first, but then I got up along side a wall on the highway and I heard it. Needless to say I was baffled, not that I am a pro by any stretch. He brought it to a mechanic that he knows and he put the Jeep on a lift and could make the noise come and go while it was there. All he had to do was unload the tires and work the 4WD.
                        They replaced the D-side front hub assy and now he is good to go.
                        Check all that, I would be willing to bet on it.
                        Let us know what happens,
                        Good luck that kinda noise is annoying as heck.
                        Later
                        Last edited by TJAugie; 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM.

Comment

since it does it w/o the brakes, jack up the front of the vehicle and spin the tires. unless you're as deaf as me (which is almost impossible unless you're a decendent of helen keller) you'll hear where it's coming from. if it only does it when the front end is on the ground, it's going to be wheel bearings.

Comment

TonyTJ just hit what I was thinking. If you are the type to do your brakes yourself, run the rotors into Sears or a brake shop and get them to resurface them. Should be like $15.00 each. They'll be able to tell you if they were warped. If so, keep an eye on them. Jeep and DC are notorious for calipers that stick and warp rotors.

Comment

Some disc brake assemblies have a small peice of metal on the pads that touches the rotor when the pads get thin causing a squeal. When you press on the petal the squeal stops because the metal it tighter against the rotor. But there are a lot of other things that could be squeaking up front. Axle u joints, bearings etc. Applying the brakes changes the forces on the wheel and axles which may be why it stops squeaking. I would check the easy stuff first, like the brake pads and the bearings.

Comment

Working...
                              X