X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger?

Alright heres the situation. ive regeared (4.56), intake, exhaust, tb, spacer... but... i want more horsepower/torque and dont know where to go next. i asked a few local 4wd places and they say the only place to go now is a supercharger or a conversion (ls1 or otherwise) and i dont want to spend that kind of money. i dont think.

can anyone tell me what i can do for more power after everything ive done without having to rob a bank (which is still an option living in the great state of TEXAS)

cam, chip, oversized injectors, fuel rails(will need pump/regulator), underdrive pully, remove airconditioning, new heads.

Comment

Does someone make a supercharger for either the 2.5 or the 4.0?

Comment

Yes, Kenny Bell and Avenger both make one.
        Minimum is about $3500-4000 + installation.
        Last edited by Blupupher; 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

my buddys got a 97 Tj with a advenger supercharger and man does that that rip. even though its alot of money and u dont mind spending it, it improves proformance ALOT!

Comment

how about low end idleing torque?? for rock crawling??

Comment

Thats the + of a supercharger, no lag like a turbo, so the power is there from idle on up.

Comment

There is a turbo kit too...I forget who makes it...

If I was gonna do a conversion...there would be two options to me....V8 that is E-85 capable...or a diesel.

Turbo Diesel will give you rediculous torque and good gas mileage...you could even run it on veggie oil, make your own fuel for 70 cents a gallon...yes $0.70/gallon.

a V8 with E-85 would be fun to build...you could run race compression, like 12:1, or supercharge/turbo the hell out of it because E-85 acts like 100 octane fuel. I would probably pick a stroked 383 TPI or LT1 with aluminum heads, build it with 12.5:1, or 9:1 and twin turbo it. Stroker means plenty of low end torque for rocks, turbo means insane high end horsepower for mud.

The benefit of a turbo system is you can integrate an electronic blow-off valve. You can sit inside the cabin and basically pick how much horsepower you want. If you're rock climbing, turn down the boost to like ~5psi. If you wanna surprise the rice burner next to you...turn it up to ~20psi. You can do this with a turbo diesel or a gasser if configured right....it won't be cheap at all...but definitely fun.

Keep in mind you need axles that will take the extra power...whether its a 4.0L supercharged, 4.6L stroker, V8 or a diesel, you need axles that will take it, especially when you add larger tires. A D35 with stock axles and a locker w/ 35's will not hold up to much abuse at all. A TJ D44 won't be too bad, but anything more than 325+ ft-lbs and you're going to need a new tranny, new t-case, and a new set of axles.

I agree...the 4.0L is a dog on the street...but I'm gonna wait till the warranty is up..and till it dies, then I'm gonna rip it out for a Cummins 4BTA, put on a 99+ Dodge 5.9L turbo, inject some propane, run it on veggie oil and it should put 450+ ft-lbs to the ground. Gonna need a NV5600, Stak box and D60's.

Comment

Originally posted by Unlimited
                  I agree...the 4.0L is a dog on the street...but I'm gonna wait till the warranty is up..and till it dies, ...
                  You will have a long wait....
                  Last edited by Blupupher; 05-12-2006, 03:06 PM.

Comment

unlimited: thats sick. we need to hook up if/when this happens.. id be down to do the conversion with you on mine assuming i could afford the 10-15(?) grand it sounds like youre talking about spending. but that sounds nasty man.

JeepKid: your idea sounds the most doable. without removing the ac (i live in Texas so you could see where that would come in handy) any idea on about cost? or about power gains? or where to pick this stuff up? just any general guestimates so i can start weighing these ideas out as far as price/gain. thank you so much.

Highrise: do you know offhand how much he spent to get the whole system (installed and everything) and how much he gained power wise? also... i imagine gas mileage would be shot to **** with the supercharger on. am i wrong? thanks.

Blu: thanks for the links man... deff something im considering

Comment

I guess I am one of the few asking "Why do you need more HP and torque?" I have been running a 2.5 with 33's and stock 4.10's for about 3 years, and I keep up with all the big boys on the trails. I have wheeled with guys and gals running 6's and 8's and I keep right up with em. All that extra horsepower is good for is breaking things. It is a little bit of a dog on the street, but I can get up to 70mph and keep up with the caravan to wherever we are going to wheel. I was about to do a V8 swap into my Jeep at one time, even had the donor engine(318 from a Dodge Diplomat with 40k), then I wheeled it. Sold the engine and have never thought about it since. Keep in mind, if you start adding a lot of HP and still have the stock D35, you will snap shafts like they are going out of style. If you have the D44 you would be ok.

Scrambler

Comment

"Why do you need more HP and torque?"
                        i dont necessarily need more horsepower or torque but i def. feel underpowered on the streets. also, i dont rock climb as much as i mud or cruise on the sand down the beach, both of which are more fun with more power.

so to answer your question: to get what im looking for in my jeep i guess? but i can see where youre coming from.. it is expensive and what i have now is adequate enough..

Comment

well i just went on the avenger site and they want 4 grand for the system and 80 bucks for shipping so idk who your offroad store is but they would put it in for you i assume so you'd have to ask them

Comment

you could buy a nice new high hp/tq crate engine for the price of a super charger. even half the price of a super charger.

Comment

yeah man.. just thro a 572 in there and be done with it...

Comment

Working...
                              X