Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file to save video as so it will work in a DVD player?

I captured a bunch of video from my video camera last night...

it saved it as .wav files

How do I get this to burned on DVD (my computer has a DVD burner) & the burned DVD to work in a regular DVD player? I am guessing it has to be in another format??? (.avi? maybe or something???)

I tried to search the net for answers.. but the search engines are packed with ads.

-Mel

DVD uses an MP4 format...
    you will need an encoder, either hardware or software.

Comment

Roxio makes numerous programs that will let you author a dvd using almost any video format for a input source, even directly from your video camera. Ther software can be picked up at most staples, circuit city, ect. or even cheeper from some web sources. check out www.roxio.com hope that helps.

Comment

Bill's right... I hadn't thought about it (what else is new) if you already have a DVD burner, then your software (which is probably Roxio) should be able to handle the encoding.
        Do have have .WAV or .WMV files? 'Cause I'm guessing if it's video they should be .WMVs.
        If you don't have DVD burning software, there are several freeware versions available out there... I'd have to hunt for it...
        you can also access a less ad-intensive version of Alta-Vista here:
        http://www.altavista.com/

Comment

I have .wmv.. sorry...

my brain is fried.

I burned the .wmv onto the DVD with nero

I saw it has "make a .wma DVD" on nero.. anyone know if that one would play?

-Mel
          Last edited by Mel85CJ; 04-04-2006, 02:42 PM.

Comment

my brain is fried.
            That's cause someone's agwabbin...

BTW, depending on the DVD player, either DVD-R or DVD+R seems to work. I have seen online arguments over this. Including silly things like "only use the green ones" or "... the gold ones" etc. Most players will handle them, but there will be an occasional one that doesn't.

Comment

http://www.videohelp.com/

That website is full of info... happy reading!!!

After doing some research a while back I went out and bought a FireWire card for my PC (faster transfer of video from my camera to my computer) and it came with some "trial" software (a watered down version of Pinnacle Studio 7). I used it to edit some baby videos of my kids. Since then I have upgraded and bought the full version of Studio 8 and have sinced used it to edit several videos including a couple of wedding videos. The program will compile and burn videos to DVD's or CD's and also will compress them for website use and such.

Of course you do not have to get something so elaborate. I also have Nero Express and it makes dvd's too.

Comment

Adobe editor?

The videohelp site looks good! I used a different one (it was a while back, but I had to spec some stuff for the govt).
                Does anyone have any experience with the Adobe products that do digital edits? I'm thinking of "going there" and wondered what experiences anyone might have...
                sorry to hijack your thread!?!

Comment

I have Adobe Premiere 5.0 (several newer versions have been out since this version and I don't know what all has changed) installed on my computer. I was never really satisfied with it. It took up A LOT of resources just to get it up and running (most editing software takes quite a bit... but this one seemed excessive and by the way good video editing requires a STRONG computer). I don't remember a lot about it b/c I really just kept running into issues with things the software just couldn't do that I wanted to do (or at least was too difficult to accomplish). 5.0 had 2 video tracks (plus a transition track) and 3 audio tracks. This is plenty for most people. It includes most of your standard transitions as well (fades, crossfades, wipes, etc.) To me this program was overly complicated. It just seemed to take a lot of effort to accomplish minor tasks. I think it is similar to many other Adobe products... it is not intuitive but it is fairly powerful. I've used (with pretty good results) Photoshop, PageMaker, and FrameMaker... but Premiere was one that I just never did like. And now the newest version of Premiere Pro is $850 and the Premiere Elements is $100... I think you can probably do better for the price. (My opinion anyway.)

Other suggestions...
                  1) for something cheap (i.e. free)... you can get Windows Movie Maker. Very simple program that works for some basic editing. Does require 3rd party software to burn DVD's though.

2) Pinnacle Systems makes a great program... easy to use and can get professional results (like I said I have done a few wedding videos with it). This company also creates software used by professionals. This is a true non-linear video editing program and for less than $100 it is hard to beat!!!

Comment

Thanks. I have a plenty strong computer (dual Xeons w/3 gb RAM), and have been with Adobe products for a good many years, just never used the video editting software. I have read some complaints about Encore, but hadn't heard anything bad about Premier.
                    I'm going to check a neighbor's computer suite to see what they use, and for a chance to try to drive the software a bit...
                    Pinnacle has had a good track record in past, but seems to have written off the American video market.

Comment

Roxio DVD Builder will convert the files but you are limited to about 80 minutes. DVD Santa will convert anything to DVD but you can't select where to put chapter breaks and you can't fast forward or rewind the DVD in your player.

Comment

Working...
                      X