Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulley question

All,
    The Jeep I bought is a 1978 CJ7 (on the title and vin plate). The replacement frame I got, however, is an '82. The new frame had a Power Steering drive motor so I decided to try to run Power Steering on my new Jeep. I got a pump with brackets no problem. Now I am looking for the pulley that goes to the water pump allowing 2 belts. I saw one online but it says it's for an '80-'86 4.2L. I know I have the 258 in right now, is this the same even thought it's a '78?

Thanks

When I was running the 258, I had a 76 motor and I put all the 83-86 accessories on it (including the water pump), so anything can be made to fit. You may have to add a few shims behind the pulley to get all the belts lined up properly, or worst case put the newer style water pump on.

Comment

THANKS! TRACRAYM!

a-shopping I will go!

Comment

water pump noproblem!

The problem I kept running into was the power steering pump pulley never wants to line up for sh&t. I wish someone would make a serpentine system adaptable enough and cheap enough for blue collar workers.

Comment

Jeep made one. my original CJ had a serp system on the 258.

Comment

Originally posted by Kids Mechanic View Post
            I wish someone would make a serpentine system adaptable enough and cheap enough for blue collar workers.
            Yes Jeep made several. The CJs had a half and half system (I've seen it) and I heard that they also had a complete serpentine system on the CJs too (never seen that one). One that may work and would be easier to find would be off an 87-89 Cherokee or wagoner with the 2.5l. The 2.5l is the
            Jeep model so the brackets will fit the 258 too. (my first PS system had the 2.5L brackets.)

Comment

You can use the serpentine system from a 4.0L motor. It will work but you'll need a reverse rotation water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by gojeepin View Post
                It will work but you'll need a reverse rotation water pump.
                Same goes for almost any serpentine system.

Comment

Originally posted by gojeepin View Post
                  You can use the serpentine system from a 4.0L motor. It will work but you'll need a reverse rotation water pump.
                  And a reverse rotation clutch fan too!

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym View Post
                    When I was running the 258, I had a 76 motor and I put all the 83-86 accessories on it (including the water pump), so anything can be made to fit. You may have to add a few shims behind the pulley to get all the belts lined up properly, or worst case put the newer style water pump on.
                    Yep this is what I had to do, CJ's had 4 different water pumps, (not counting the one for the serpenine belt) and even then I had to add acouple small shims to get things alighned just perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                    X