X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is she gonna be alright?

I have been driving my '85 CJ7 for about 3 months, and just recently it has been shutting down when idoling. In example, when i go through a turn, it will die out on me, leaving me without power steering and brakes. Yeah its kinda scary on a main road. We have increased the idle speed, and messed around with alot of the adjustments, but they really havent done anything. I did discover that by pulling out the choke while going throught turns it doesnt die. But I shouldnt have to do that, should I? Something must be wrong, I think its an early sign of her dieing. Any information would be greatly appreciated, if anyone can help me please do, the local auto shop I use is out until Monday, so if I could figure out what the problem is it would be a big help. Thankyou.

Vacuum leak

Originally posted by CJ71985
    I did discover that by pulling out the choke while going throught turns it doesnt die.
    You have a classic symptom of a vacuum leak. By choking it you are restricting the air flow into the motor hence the fuel mixture becomes richer. Check all your vacuum lines for cracks or disconnects around the carb and intake manifold. You may also have an EGR valve sticking partially open. You can try tapping on top of the EGR in an attempt to get it to close completely if this is the case.

If non of the above holds true you can take some carb cleaner, while at an idle (you might have to temporarily bump the idle up to keep it running), and spray it in the area of suspected vacuum leaks i.e. EGR and base plate under the carb. The area where the vacuum leak is will suck the carb cleaner into the intake manifold and you will immediately notice an increase in engine RPM. Once the area has been identified, zoom in and spray on individual vacuum lines, etc. until the culprit is found.

Be careful and don't get too liberal with the carb cleaner while spraying.
    Last edited by xlr8n; 04-28-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

took it to a family freind who is a Ford mechanic, and he said yes, it has a vaccum leak, so the gasket is being replaced tonight.

Comment

Working...
      X