Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really stupid question. How do you remove dash knobs?

I'm a little embarrassed to even ask this, but I can't figure it out.

I need one knob for the CJ7 and the parts jeep has them all.

I got behind the dash and got the cable to release, but I can not figure how to remove the knob from the cable. They sell replacement knobs, so there must be a way. The oval wiper knob was easy, but the round knobs appear to be part of the shaft.

As far as I know, the only way to replace a broken knob is to change out the whole cable, or buy a replacement, which come as a set of six and attach via a set screw. I have extra replacement knobs, I can sell you one if interested. Let me check on how much they were.

Comment

Well, thank you for making me feel a little less stupid.

I have the original knob, so think I will just epoxy it back on.
      Didn't want to monkey rig it, but if they are not meant to come off, it shouldn't matter.

If a person wanted to go a fancy set of knobs, do they have to cut the originals off?

Comment

Originally posted by Montana View Post
        I have the original knob, so think I will just epoxy it back on.
        I could never get anything to hold long term, maybe someone else has had better luck and can let you know how to do it.

Originally posted by Montana View Post
        If a person wanted to go a fancy set of knobs, do they have to cut the originals off?
        As far as I know, yes. I had three knobs that came off, and after repeated efforts of trying to reattach them, I bought a set of six billet aluminum knobs. I was unable to find any place that sold the knobs individually. I only used three to replace the missing ones; I wasn't about to cut to the others off just so they would match.

Comment

Not a stupud question I asked it once myself. The only way to get them off is to cut it off. I cut mine with a ziz wheel on each side and peeled it off. As for gluing some on I would say JB weld, or get the billet ones like
          I did and put on with set screw.

Comment

I had the same problem. I ended up pulling them out grabbing it with some pliers and pulling it until it came off. But the problem I had was putting new billet ones I bought on. I had to file down the inside of the knob to get it in. It turned out to be a whole lot more work than I thought it would be

Comment

You have to replace the whole cable to change the knobs. If you go with Billet you must cut the old ones off with side cutters or crack them like a nut with pliers.

Comment

I cracked um just like a nut and replaced um with billets.

Comment

Wow, all I had to do to remove mine was to use them.
                  I feel so unlucky. I wish I had to cut mine off.

Comment

I was able to pull the knobs off of my stuff. All but one came off easily. They are just glued on. Of course I ended up needing to replace two levers, and the new knobs are on there pretty damn tight. I'm going to have to crack them to get them off.

As for the billet knobs. I bought a set, and they are labeled with a S or L on the back. If you use the S for the switched, and L for the levers you SHOULDN'T need to file them down.

Yeah, I found the S and L after I filed my first one down, lol

Comment

Just crush em with a big pair of pliers..our host sells ones that have little set screws. Beware, crush gently and dont pull too much on the whiole lever, it can damange the pull mechanism..Sounds like we all are on the same sheet. Its really odd they are designed like that.

Comment

here is a simple tool for the nuts that hold the light and fan switches in
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/101_0168.jpg
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/101_0167.jpg

Comment

cut mine with a Dremel and bought some ebay billets....

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
                            Wow, all I had to do to remove mine was to use them.
                            I feel so unlucky. I wish I had to cut mine off.
                            You too, huh? Especially my vent/heat one. That one was very unforgiving.

Comment

my knob for my lights came off.

i used locktite to put it back on LOL. i was tired of it coming off.

eventually when its time for a knob job im just cutting them all off and re-doing the whole dash at once.

good hint on the s and l. learn something new every day =]

Comment

Working...
                              X