X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang squeaky belt!!!

I cant seem to get rid of my squeaky belt. I have a 304 and it only has one belt on it. It seems to quit squeaking after the engine is warmed up a little but also seams to be getting worse. I have replaced the belt. I have adjusted the tension a million times. I have put that stupid "no squeak" belt lube stuff on it. I dont know what else to do and it is driving me insane! It used to only do it the first time I started it up for the day. Now it is doing it everytime I start it. Any ideas?

Make sure your pulleys are aligned.

Comment

Make Sure It's Not Your Pulleys That Are Squeaking And That Their All Balanced.

Comment

Ditto on the pully alignment. Use a straight edge (yard stick, level, whatever) against the face of the pullies. One may be wobbling too.

How tight is your belt? Generally, you want about 1/2 inch of deflection in 1 foot of belt. I have seen over-tight belts squeal too (not often).

Rusty pully? A little fine sandpaper and clean up the grooves.

Also...once...I saw a belt that had flipped. Looked fine, but was inside-out and didn't fit in the groove right.

Otherwise, I dunno.

Comment

Alignment hit the nail on the head. I had to put some spacers behind my alternator to bring it out some. Magical!!! Thanks everyone!

Comment

i hate when i get a squeaky belt...but i love it when the new Mercedes next to me has one

Comment

Exaust manifold leak can squeak like a belt if the gasket slips a little...you'd swear it was a belt

Comment

i had a bent pushrod in a 258 that sounded too much like a squeaky belt or bearing going out.

Comment

Working...
                X