X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T18 Or sm465

I was wanting to know which one of theses trannies are eaiser to put in in a 81 cj7 with the 258 with the sr4 tanny. i have a very tight budget so the easiest and cheapest fit is what i'm looking for.

the T-18 will bolt right in if you can find one .... good luck, I have been looking for one for a year!! - at least a "good deal" on one ....

Comment

The T18 would probably be easier because it bolts in, but good luck finding one. For the SM465 see novak or this link SM465 to AMC engine

I am doing the SM465 in my 79 CJ5 but I have the sbc 350. I just have to use the adapter for the D20. It was not cheap. So if you can find a T18, it would be much nicer to your wallet.

Comment

the SM465 will bolt to your SR4 Bellhousing as athenscj5 stated above.

A ford T-18 (much easier to find than a jeep T18 ) will bolt unmodified to a T-150/176 bellhousing, and you will still need a TC adapter.

Either tranny swap will probably still run near a $1000 by the time you're done. I am leaning towards the SM465 for my 84, mostly because I already have the clutch and bellhousing.

Novaks page is a great resource.

Comment

As the guy said above, the Ford T-18 out of an early 2-wd Ford pick-up (< 1973) is a great option. Bolts right up to the T-150 bellhousing and has a 6.32:1 1st gear ratio. The other great tranny that hasn't been mentioned is the NP-435 granny 4-speed out of later model Ford pick-ups (mid 70's -late 80's). Just as strong as the T-18, bolts up to the T-150 bellhousing and has a deeper 6.68:1 1st gear ratio. In my opinion, they seem to shift easier than a T-18 too. The SM-465 will be a pain in the A$$ to bolt up unless you are planning on putting in a small-black Chevy engine. Good luck. I bought a complete, working NP-435 out of on old Ford pickup at a local pick-a-part for $90.00. That's a heck of a deal for a bulletproof tranny.
          Last edited by Renegade; 03-26-2005, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I know someone selling a Jeep t18 complete with clutch, pressure plate, and Dana 20 transfer case would be a straight bolt in but he wants 900.00 for it. I'm in the same boat as you right now I'm putting a 360 in my Jeep and still running a T5. I'm just gonna baby it and try to get a year out of it. I plan on getting a Ford 2wd T18 as soon as the 4wheeling season ends then getting the Novak adaptor for my D300.

Comment

Working...
            X