X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic shift linkage trunnion

Anybody have experience replacing the trunnion in an automatic shift linkage? I have a '79 CJ7 with the Turbo 400 automatic tranny. The gear shifter was sloppy, difficult to get into Park. My trusty Haynes manual said to adjust the linkage, loosening the trunnion to adjust it, then retighten. Simple enough, everything went pretty easy, shifting felt the way it should, so I start tightening, then switch to the torque wrench so I don't overtighten. I was more concerned with stripping it, when the threaded part of the trunnion broke off! I wasn't even close to tight yet! http://www.muddybuddys.net/Mud_Hole/...s/icon_mad.gif

Anybody got experience in such a situation? Hopefully I can just replace the threaded part. I called Autozone, and the guy said they can't even order one in. I'm going to stop in anyway, to have a look around. Maybe check out a couple other auto parts stores, too.

I looked in our host's catalog and didn't see it. If it's there, can somebody tell me where to find it?

I might still have the factory linkage from the tranny when I got it have to look

Comment

I found someone that can probably fab another one up for me, but if you do find it, hold on to it just in case. Thanks!

I can't believe nobody makes a replacement for it. I guess everybody just either fabs one up themself or otherwise modifies it, I can't be the first to need a new one.

Comment

If anybody has any other ideas, I'm also open to suggestions. Modifications that work better, whatever...

Comment

Working...
        X