Clocking a DANA 300 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocking a DANA 300

Anyone had any experience with installing a clocking ring?

Since I will have the whole drive train out during the motor swap and am rebuilding the DANA in the process I was thinking about adding a clocking ring so I can get the dana above the frame rail and install a flat skid plate.

JB conversions has one:

Seems like a good idea but do not know anyone who has done it.

OK,OK I figured out the search and have info on clocking a dana 300.

How about this --- Of those of you who have done this any issues ? Would you do it again?

Last edited by louism58; 05-07-2008, 08:34 AM. Reason: found what I was looking for

Originally posted by louism58 View Post
    ...............Of those of you who have done this any issues ? Would you do it again?

Yes, in a heartbeat! I got my ring from Great Lakes off road, it has 3 clocking positions. I was able to go full flat with it, becuase I have a 1'' body lift. I did need to drop the front pinion snubber down an inch, to make sure the driveshaft didn't hit the starter on a hard stuff with the front axle.

You'll also want to build a new crossmember, in order to take advantage of the new clearance.

Here's my thread on it:

If it doesn't start on page 7, jump to it, thats where the Tcase starts.

As you can see, the tranny mount is now lower than the T-case, I'd rather hit the mount than the case, so it works.

If the ring you get doesn't come with a new shaft, you an use a ''speedi-sleeve'' between the tranny and Tcase, as long as the clocking ring is n thicker than 3/8th of an inch. Part # for the speedi sleeve is: 99193

From my resarch, this will work fine if your running stock horsepoer and 36'' or less tires. If you run bigger, get the kit that includes a new shaft so that you will have full spline engagement. Good Luck! HB

Well no need for a clocking ring. Just talked to Novac where I got my adapter fr the dana to the SM420 and they told me it came with a clocking set up so no need to add a ring.

That was a bonus I did not expect :-)

yes, most of your adapters, like from Novak or Advanced have the extra holes drilled inthem for clocking...

I have used both, and it makes it nice... in fact I am currently rebuilding an SM420 and a dana300 with 4:1 gears for my CJ5.

that is one of my favorite transmissions to use in the jeeps, 10" case and the lowest first gear of the production transmisions out there....