X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 CJ7 Project update

Just thought I would give you guys an update on my jeep.

First, the body was totally shot way beyond saving. I have remove the back half of the tub, I also removed the gas tank and gas tank cradle (not sure exact name but this is the sheet metal which the gas tank rests in).

I learned quickly that the frame is also in very bad shape, much worse that the previous owner lead me to believe. There were a lot of patches that he welded in that I could not see from my original inspection of the vehicle. Based on this, I plan on getting a new frame, hopefully soon.

Tonight I hope to get the dash apart and pull the steering column so that I can take the rest of the tub off. The front fenders, grill and hood all look like they can be saved. The doors are in shaky shape, the main body of the doors are good but the window frames are rusted, in some spots there are holes, can this be fixed?

Also, I plan on pulling the rear differential cover off to determine the condition of the pinion and related gears. I will try to get some pictures posted soon if you are interested.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jeff,

What is good on this Jeep? Sounds like you are going to end up building a Jeep from scratch. Very expensive. Sometimes we have to know when to fold our cards. If your engine, tranny, and transfer case need work you pretty much have a parts Jeep. Can you get your money back by parting it out? I'm concerned that you are headed toward a $15K project that'll be worth $5K when finished, if it's ever finished. Lots of projects get resold at tremendous loss because everything is in boxes when owner runs out of money or interest. I've seen what look like decent rigs sell for around $5K, ready to drive. A lot of people on this forum will claim it's a noble thing to waste thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on a piece of crap but they're not the one writing the checks. Try to separate the emotion from the financial reality of what you are embarking on. Consider my advice for what you paid for it.

Good luck,
    Chilly

Comment

Chilly,

The engine runs and so far the trans looks seemed like it shifted ok. Granted, I did not do a lot of driving. That being said, i was starting to wonder the same thing, there is not a lot worth saving. When I pop open differential covers on the front a rear axles I will make up my mind. If they are shot and need replacing then I think I will part it out. If they are decent then I will have to make a decision.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Comment

It sounds like you have a real project on your hands, but like chilly said you may be better parting it out at this point and getting some of your money back and find another jeep that is in better shape. Good luck with your decision!

Comment

I'd like to see some pictures if you have some you can post. It might be easier for you to set up a photobucket account and then post the link to your photobucket page.

Comment

Photobucket Link

Ok, here is the photobucket

linkhttp://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z260/jefflesh/Jeep/

The good new, and I will take what I can get with this thing, is that everything looked very good under the rear differential cover. I couldn't see any signs of damage to any of the teeth.

Well, let me know what you think.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Comment

dude just my 2 cents. but it looks like you need to get out on this one.
              youll wind up divorced an broke.

Comment

If you're up to spending 12 grand plus, continue on If not, part it out. Guess it all depends on what ya want as an end product.

Comment

I am with them. You'll wind up paying a ton to have everything finished correctly because you will need a frame, and body, and if you are replacing everything else then you don't want to have a motor that will fail, ( not saying that it would) or other parts that aren't as reliable. It might pay off to purchase a rig thats already ready for what you are looking for than to finish this one. Either way I am interested to know which route you go.

Comment

So here's where you are. You've got this Jeep that isn't completely ready for the bone heap, but certainly isn't a starting point for any serious build-up. You could either part it out to recover some money, or patch it together well enough to beat the hell out of it. A friend of mine once cut some homemade side panels and rear panel from sheetmetal, joined the corners with angle iron, and fabbed in a simple back floor. After a cheapo paint job it looked really nice! And he didn't have much into it. So if you keep it do all repairs on a VERY cheap budget and don't try to make things perfect. Buy a few more years of fun for the old girl then part it out. Or part it out now. But whatever you do DO NOT start dumping serious money into this Jeep. If you keep your eyes open you can find engines, axles, etc for very cheap. Make a list of what you think you need and I'll bet members of this board can help you find what you need. A lot of us probably have junk laying around that we don't want but also don't have the energy to go looking for a buyer.

Comment

Diddo all the above.
                      Depending on what your goal is with the CJ trail rig or daily driver or other.
                      If you take your time you can find deals on frames and tubs.

Also if you decide to rebuild it, look into using a YJ frame and or a YJ tub with a CJ nose. I have heard a YJ frame is stronger and better than the CJ frame. Find a club or a group of local jeepers and they may be able to help
                      you with finding deals in your area on parts.

PS please let us know what you decide. Another great CJ forum
                      is at Jeepsunlimited.com

Comment

Cj 7

You might want to look around for another project or one that someone else has started and lost interest in. On my CJ project i replaced the rear crossmember and a couple of body mounts but frame was serviceable. i rebuilt the front suspension, brakes and lines, one new hub, gas tank, fuel lines. New fiberglass body and front end, new windshild frame, fixed my doors (your doors look better than mine did.) found a running 83 jeep cherokee for my engine and radiator and steering column. I repaired the fiberglass top and plan on painting the roof with truck bed coating. I painted the body in my garage. I have about 5500-6k in it, maybe more. It's been fun but I dont have any illusions that it's worth what I have in it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for al the replies.

I found a CJ7 frame for what seems to be a decent price, it has no rust and is for sale locally. I guess it came from the South.

So I put together a spreadsheet of money expectations for this project. I have come up with about $7000 for all new parts. I know that this is still not complete but I am OK with that for now. Obviously I will be keeping an eye out for as many used parts that I can find.

My idea when I got the Jeep was that I would be replacing the tub anyways, I would like to go fiberglass for the tub. Additionally, I figured on replacing the brakes and suspension so those were costs that I was going to spend regardless. Basically, I was hoping that the frame was in better shape but I think I am going to be getting one that is in very good shape.

Please correct me if you all think I am in denial.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Comment

How much is the frame you found? I thought I could build mine for under$10,000 but I don't think am not going to meet that goal, I also don't want to add up all of the reciepts because it would probably make me sick. haha

Just Empty Every Pocket

Comment

dj_jeepin,

The frame I found is going for $500. It is not supposed to have any rust. I will be looking at it in Monday. The cost of the Jeep, new suspension, and frame puts me at $1850. Maybe it just me but I don't think that all that bad for the start of this project. I am not in a big hurry so it can take me a year or so to finish it. I will be looking for deals on craigs list and ebay to try and cut my expenses.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff
                              Last edited by jefflesh; 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X