X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 258 water pumpssss

I'm in the process of swapping my old 258 I6 out with a reman'd one and I've found that there are at least 3 different pumps that were used- plus a different one for a serpentine belt. I ordered one from our host, and the shaft length (from hub to edge of "flange" where mounted to block) is too short. In other words, the belt pulley rubs the timing chain cover. Same for another I ordered from Napa. I'm getting a 3rd one that is supposed to have the correct shaft length tomorrow. Has anyone run into this before? My question is this. Is (was) there any way to tell which pump a specific 258 uses without having to order one of each and trying them. I'm talking about something like a number stamped on the block, or a period of years in which certain water pumps were used, and how do you distinguish between the pumps when ordering from a parts store. It may be too late to help me, but any information may be useful to others. Thanks!!

buy a flow-kooler pump

Talk to the folks at Flow Kooler. I've had one in my CJ for years. I think it has a lifetime warranty too.

http://www.flowkooler.com/

Comment

Never ran into that one. My 258 was out of a 78, my brackets were off an 85 4 cyl, and an 80 Eagle 258. I just ordered up the water pump for the 85 CJ that it was going into and never had any problems with the water pump. I was given a motor out of a 1980 CJ and the water pump was the same as the one in my 85 too.

Are you sure you have the correct pulley?

The serpentine belt issue I understand. with a serp. belt the WP has to turn the opposite direction, so naturally it is a different part number.

Comment

Man, what a timely post!

I am replacing my water pump tomorrow. I've already ordered the part, non serpentine belt, told the Autozone guys it was an I6 258. Hopefully I have the right part, if not, I'll contact the Flowkooler guys.

thanks for the information, anything else about replacing the wp I oughtta know? I have a gallon of antifreeze, I'm expecting a mess.

Comment

It is better for a water pump to bring it in.
          Two reasons.
          First is you can compare.
          Second, here in Michigan there is a core charge, you get taxed on it. You get the core charge back but not the tax. It really sucks to get hit with a core charge for an engine.
          There are different spacers that go behind the pulley to make sure they line up for the belts. I have so many jeep parts that I just take whatever and match the spacer up for the pulley.

Comment

Water pump change done

Took almost 2 weeks to finalize the job, but it's done. Didn't have any tax issues. Didn't have any shaft problems. Did have to buy new studs for end of pump and fan. The old ones were a different size, fit the old pump but not the new one.

I can't take credit for all the work, I had 2 consultants, a local jeeper and a young shadetree mechanic. The jeeper helped take off the old pump, had lots of wrenches and tips. Used a wirebrush to clean off silicone from old pump. Young feller helped tighten up steering fluid reservoir and belt and change water pump and heater coil hoses. Had to use a Dremel tool to take off original hose clamps. They looked like tiny oil derricks and were on really tight.

First picture is a cj7 ready to devour 2 humans. 2nd is hole where water pump was. 3rd is new water pump installed. 4th is new water heater hoses and 5th is new studs on fan.
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/IMG_0194.jpg
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/IMG_0197.jpg,
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/IMG_0212.jpg,
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/IMG_0211.jpg,
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...5/IMG_0213.jpg,
            Last edited by Morrigan55; 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM. Reason: add pics

Comment

Morrigan55, just an observation, but your set up is like none I've seen before.

It appears you have a serpentine belt idler pulley (passenger side, below alternator bracket)

The power steering bracket mounts to the water pump (mine mounts to the intake manifold)

You have 3 slots on the lower pulley, but only one on the water pump,

and the alternator belt goes from the lower pulley to the alternator, bypassing the water pump completely.

Is it (like most of my Jeeps are/have been) a conglomeration of parts? or did Jeep do something weird that year? (not unheard of)

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post
                Morrigan55, just an observation, but your set up is like none I've seen before.
                She has part of an AC setup (I can see the bracket) and part of an alternator only setup with power steering most likely swapped in at a later date. No wonder she had trouble lining up the pulleys!
                Last edited by tracraym; 05-30-2008, 09:37 PM. Reason: Changed He to She (Oops)

Comment

Serpentine belts, pulleys, etc.

Hill Bill E,
                  What you see is what I got. The previous owner did alot of work himself, and no doubt arranged the belts/alternator, etc. The power steering appears to attach to the water pump, but actually it's on it's own frame NEXT TO the water pump, and it's slot and a 1/2 inch ratchet drive reciever are on that frame. You loosen the nut and the power steering can be tilted by using the ratchet in the receiver, thereby loosening or tightening the belt. The water pump has about 5 bolts holding it in place, and is behind a bell shaped piece of metal into which the studs and fan are attached.

The belt you see is on the bell shaped metal over the end of the water pump. I think the alternator belt must be out of picture, just below the belt you see. I'll ask my consultants about what you are saying, I've printed off the post.

TRACRYM-I'm the female in the blue shirt in the first picture, perched on the bumper of my jeep. The blond guy is a friend who is very knowledgeable about jeeps and helps me because I'm an egnorant noobie. Morrigan is the name of the Irish goddess of war. Thanks for your comments, this definitely a jeep made for and by the previous owner, I'm just trying to keep it running and learn more about it. Next project, front differential gear oil change and new shocks!

Comment

the jeep bug has bitten you...hide your money in a safe place away from it....that is unless you for some odd reason like to enjoy yourself throughout the course of your life (or constantly get pissed off, whatever floats your boat)...i for one can't wait till a good hard hot summer rain...im just dyin' to go mudding topless in a pouring rain again

note to self: time to lube up the hinges on the windshield

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigan55 View Post
                      TRACRYM-I'm the female in the blue shirt in the first picture, perched on the bumper of my jeep...

Morrigan is the name of the Irish goddess of war.

I'm just trying to keep it running and learn more about it. Next project, front differential gear oil change and new shocks!
                      Sorry, I was looking more at the jeep than those trying to crawl inside it.

Any way you look at it, if it works, it can't be that wrong. Right?

Have fun, and keep the tire side down!

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigan55 View Post
                        .............. Morrigan is the name of the Irish goddess of war....................
                        I knew I'd heard that somewhere! My wife is Irish, and big into Celtic history and mythology. When I was looking for a name for my Jeep, Morrigan was mentioned. I settled on 'Bad Mojo', becuase my Jeep luck at the time was anything but good

I've seen some funny and welrd set-ups on CJ's,(even done some myself) but they all worked, and that, as Tracraym pointed out, is all that matters!

Happy Jeeping!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post
                          I settled on 'Bad Mojo', because my Jeep luck at the time was anything but good
                          isn't "jeep luck" an oxymoron to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                            isn't "jeep luck" an oxymoron to begin with?
                            What about "bad luck", it is still a type of luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X