X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan change

After comtemplating a new one, the old one is warped and it has to go. I crawl under to look, and it looks like the motor mount may or may not let me sneak a wrench in there. Whats the word oh smart persons? Can I do this without pulling or messing with the motor mount? It looks like I can, and then it looks like the cross member(4 bolts total)has to go. Any words of advise would be great. I once was going to do this but got sidetracked. Thanks.

Its been a while, but if I remember right, I had to support the engine and remove the right hand engine mount. Yes the cross member has to come out. Good luck

Comment

Yes, the motor mount needs to come out, along with the cross bar. (my cross bar has only 2 bolts)

I just dropped my pan, I used a chainfall to hold the block up. I hooked it to the small cast 'circle' under the alternator.

I have also used a bottle jack, putting it on top the front diff, and the top of the jack under the cast 'circle'. It's pretty dangerous this way, easy for the jack to pop out.

Somewhere I have a piece of uni-strut, that I fabbed up to fit in place of te motor mount, but let you have enough room to work. (still have to lift the right side of the motor about 2'', to remove the MM)

I have 3'' of springlift, and the pan clears the front axle fine.

Hope this helps! HB

Comment

I use a small Bottle jack.
        Put it on the frame and tilt the engine to the drivers side.
        Pull motor mount. Pull pan.
        Make sure your jeep is high enough that you can clear the axle.
        You might want to pull the driveshaft if you are close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E View Post

I have also used a bottle jack, putting it on top the front diff, and the top of the jack under the cast 'circle'. It's pretty dangerous this way, easy for the jack to pop out.

I have 3'' of springlift, and the pan clears the front axle fine.
          X3 on this and what Penguin said - that's how I did mine, just make sure the jack is wedged in good, 'casue it is bit dangerous that way, but it does work.

Comment

Working...
          X