Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zerk fitting clearance with axle joints

Guys,

Installed Alloy USA (not made in USA) axle shafts in my 73 CJ5 (larger u-joints and yolks). Also installed ball joints with grease fittings. It appears that the axle yolks might knock off the zerks but I'm not sure. I don't want to load up the axles, spindles, and hubs to find out. I'm sure I've seen little brass screws to plug the zerk hole but I can't find them. Any help? Alternately, the flush fittings that require a needle greaser would work just as well, though I'd never grease with a needle because I can't reach with u-joints installed.

Thanks,
    Chilly

local auto parts store should have the zerk fittings and plugs... they are not expensive, and you usually have to go and ask the couter person for them as they usually have them behind the counter.

take your current fitting with you so that you can get one with the same size thread... nothing worse than getting one too big or too small...

I usually put the 'dish' fittings on all of mine... all of my steering axle u-joints are either solid (stronger) or have the dish fitting in the cap.

Comment

If you use one of the tubed needles and bend it just right you can grease the ball joints. You will also have to rotate the axle to get the u joint just right

Comment

Working...
      X