X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Lincoln locker

I am considering welding my amc 20 I have yukon one piece axles, 33" tires.
    I drive on the street just to get to the trails.

I welcome any opinion anyone may have. A locker is not in my budget in the near future.

How about a mini-spool? I have no experience with welded gears but it seems like an idea who's time has passed. If your welds break loose you might not have money in the budget to correct the resultant damage (speculating that you'd have sympathetic failures of bearings, seals, carrier, maybe your expensive axle splines...).

Comment

Oh yeah, Lincoln lockers are waaay past their prime. That was done back in the days before easily available traction aids, born of desperation. Great way to destroy a axle. When the welds or the spiders break (they will. Think of bull riding: it's not if, it's when and how bad.) you stand a good chance of loosing the ring gear too from shrapnel.

Check this thread for more info. We had a pretty good discussion on this.

Summit Racing sells spools for around 35 bucks for about every axle EXCEPT the AMC 20. Our host sells all the good traction aids that WILL fit.
      If you ever consider an axle swap, you may want to check out spools.

Nasty nasty on the pavement tho, and some guys don't like them off-road either. I'd drop in a Detroit Locker IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
        Summit Racing sells spools for around 35 bucks for about every axle EXCEPT the AMC 20. Our host sells all the good traction aids that WILL fit.
        If you ever consider an axle swap, you may want to check out spools.
        I'm getting...wait...yep, just had an idea. Let's say a fellow wants a spool but nobody makes an AMC 20 spool. One of those upscale lockers that are all the rage in Hollywood isn't in the budget, either. Perhaps the fellow is biased against the Lock-Right devices because they just don't have bad enough manners to suit him. He's a real hellion who won't be happy with anything less than being locked up tighter than a whore's heart. A Lock-Right is SORT of like a mini-spool except the drive cogs aren't engaged all the time. Or ARE they? How about if one shims up both drivers so they are always engaged? What would be the harm? Now I'm not saying it's a good idea. But I'm not going to tell a man what he should or shouldn't do with his money. I mean, it's not for me. But who am I to tell a guy what he should or shouldn't put in his own rearend? But please don't stick a welding rod in there. That's just not natural and it might cause internal damage.

Really isn't much point in disabling the unlocker in the Lock-Right locker so my dissertation was purely for academic discussive purposes. Consider it discussed, disgusting, and dismissed as tomfoolery.

Comment

Save your chips for a lock rite in the rear. If you need something to get you by for now lincoln lock the front. I have done this to several rigs, unlocking the front hubs they are safe on the street. Turn like a battle ship, but the thats the trade off for CHEAP. IMHO I prefer locking the front first anyway since it's the one that pulls you up onto an obsticle. If you can't get up on it you can't get over it.

Comment

I have a Detroit in mine and it is basically like a spool.

Comment

Working...
            X