X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash pad back plate ideas...

i have searched a few things and can't really find anything (unless I missed it). I had removed the dash pad to do the wiper motor and left it off because of rust issues on the back plate. I am thinking of putting aluminum on the back but am not real sure of how to attach it. I am thinking epoxy. I don't think that screws will be able to bite. Any ideas?

Been looking at mine. Here is an idea...

1. Hollow out the back of the dash pad as much as possible (a couple inches at least.)

2. Apply a thin layer of expanding foam insulation.

3. Quickly press your new brackets into the insulation before it sets. (You may want to have extra wide brackets with a few holes though the base so the foam can get a good bite on the brackets.)

4. allow first layer of foam to cure (may need to devise a fixture to hold brackets.)

5. Apply thin layers of the foam insulation to build the back of the dash pad up to original size (If you get too much, you can always whittle it down)

I think it should work. What do you think?

Comment

Is the metal rotted through? If not, and it is just rusty, perhaps you can wire wheel, sand, or clean the loose rust off, as best as you can.

After that, you can use a rust converter, prime and paint. (or POR 15).

If it's really rotted, you may want to just buy another one on ebay, or at a swap meet. (I bought a pristine one at a swap meet last weekend for $10.00)!

Comment

Working...
      X