X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole In My Steel Fuel Tank

CAME HOME FRIDAY AFTERNOON TO A PUDDLE OF FUEL IN MY DRIVEWAY...AND OF COURSE WITH MY LUCK IT WASN'T A LINE OR SOMETHING EASY, IT WAS DRIPPING SLOWLY OUT OF THE STOCK 15 GAL STEEL TANK. sUNDAY AFTERNOON i DROPPED THE TANK AND FOUND A SEVERELY RUSTED SPOT WITH ABOUT A 1/4" HOLE RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM. mY QUESTION FOR EVERYONE WOULD BE...IS THERE SOME SORT OF REPAIR THAT CAN BE MADE TO THIS? i GRINDED ALL THE RUST OFF AND THERE IS JUST A SMALL HOLE. i DON'T HAVE A WELDER, WOULD SOLDER WORK...BRAZING? i KNOW jb WELD WON'T WORK..IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I COULD BUY AT NAPA SOME SORT OF CHEMICAL GLUE THAT WOULD HOLD UP TO GASOLINE? i KNOW EVERYONE ON HERE IS GOING TO SAY TO GET THE POLY TANK, AND i WISH i COULD..kINDA STRAPPED FOR CASH RIGHT NOW (WHEN IS THAT STIMULOUS CHECK SUPPOSE TO GET IN MY WALLET ANYWAY?)

Yes, there is a common putty that will seal the hole for a while. I'd do that while saving for a new tank myself. (I can't remember what it's called right now tho any parts store should have it.)

I know it can be welded, buddy of mine used to weld his stock car tanks al the time. Just fill it with water to flush out any fume left from the gasoline first.

I think our host sells replacement tanks.

Comment

if you have a welding supply stores or large bore piping shop's see if they can get you some DEVCON THERE IS 2 TYPES YOU WOULD PREFER THE SUBMERISLE TYPE THIS STUFF IS THE TICKET, IT CAN ALSO BE GROUND IF NEEDED

LOL

Comment

jb weld works good but the tank needs to be dry you could also run in a sheet metal screw as a temp fix

Comment

JB Weld will work but only for a while....I used it years ago but only got a year out of the tank and then had to replace the entire tank

Comment

The Ebay thing shows new steel tanks for a little over $100 shipped (may be slightly more in your neck of the woods).

When I worked in parts, Permatex made a gas tank repair kit that had a stick of special fuel resistant epoxy in it. I heard very good things about that.

If you are new to welding, seek professional help as even a dry fuel tank can have issues when you put the heat to it!

If it is rusted-through in one spot there are almost always others that are close to letting loose. It may not be worth messing with it.

Comment

Do yourself a favor, BUY A NEW PLASTIC TANK. If ya got one bad spot, more will show there ulgy heads down the road. Fix it once and be done. Also a little piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskanbadfish View Post
                CAME HOME FRIDAY AFTERNOON TO A PUDDLE OF FUEL IN MY DRIVEWAY...AND OF COURSE WITH MY LUCK IT WASN'T A LINE OR SOMETHING EASY, IT WAS DRIPPING SLOWLY OUT OF THE STOCK 15 GAL STEEL TANK. sUNDAY AFTERNOON i DROPPED THE TANK AND FOUND A SEVERELY RUSTED SPOT WITH ABOUT A 1/4" HOLE RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM. mY QUESTION FOR EVERYONE WOULD BE...IS THERE SOME SORT OF REPAIR THAT CAN BE MADE TO THIS? i GRINDED ALL THE RUST OFF AND THERE IS JUST A SMALL HOLE. i DON'T HAVE A WELDER, WOULD SOLDER WORK...BRAZING? i KNOW jb WELD WON'T WORK..IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I COULD BUY AT NAPA SOME SORT OF CHEMICAL GLUE THAT WOULD HOLD UP TO GASOLINE? i KNOW EVERYONE ON HERE IS GOING TO SAY TO GET THE POLY TANK, AND i WISH i COULD..kINDA STRAPPED FOR CASH RIGHT NOW (WHEN IS THAT STIMULOUS CHECK SUPPOSE TO GET IN MY WALLET ANYWAY?)
                Just pulled my tank and there was of course rust inside and out.

No hole yet but it will happen.

I used this stuff to fix mine but by the time you are done a new tank is not that much more:

http://www.stoprust.net/FUEL-TANK-SE...IAL-p-110.html

I have done this many times on motorcycle gas tanks.

Clean out with water, use an etching solution to get the rust out, if it is really heavy put a few small stones in and roll them around for a while.

Dump out etching fluid, wash very well and dry. IN your case patch the hole with epoxy or some other filler. I would not worry about it being compatible with gas since you will be sealing it.

Pour in the tank seal and slosh it around for a while so all of the inside is covered. MAke sure rusted areas (hole) get a good coating.

Pour out extra, then let set for 2 days to dry.

You might want to do something about the outside rust too if there is any.

Then reinstall the tank. Should work for years.

I have never had a tank leak after using this stuff.

Comment

It was just outside rust that had eaten the hole, it was bad. At napa they had a "Steel Fuel Tank Repair Kit" bought that for 15$ and it seems to be as good as new. Got some very good rust prevenative paint and coated it heavy (after cleaning of course) put it back up in there, filled it back up and it seems to be good. I guess only time will tell with a patch job to a gas tank. Now I'm just saving for my poly....think I may go with the 21 gallon from the host, I'd get more miles before having to fill -er'

Comment

I used the fuel tank repair kit from POR15, but if I had to do it again I would have bought a new poly tank and used all of the time spent on the tank to work on the Jeep. But it is done now, I hope it lasts!

Comment

RonS has it right. Devcon is the way to go. A friend of mine uses it underwater, in gas tanks, engine blocks, whatever he needs to put together Devcon does the job. I fixed some holes in my windshield with it. You can sand it and paint it if you want. I get mine from the local parts store. But if you google Devcon, their website will come up and you can buy it from them. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X