X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incline blues

Any help on how to fight off stalling when on steep inclines with carbureted vehicles?

There was an article in JP magazine last year, not sure of the month(their server is down right now so I can't find it for ya), but they did a carb shootout. The point of the matchup was to find the best at throttle response, not stalling on incline, blah, blah, blah. Basically they all had their flaws and the only way to get rid of the stalling was to not have a carb. There was one that was better than the others though. Try to check their article archives sometime.

Comment

instal some pedals. like fred flintstone.

well, i realy dont know besides new fancy carbs or fuel injection. iv eheard the weber doesnt have problems. ive got the swap on my jeep, bua wheel bering went out right after i got it on and i havnt been able to fix it yet. argh.

Comment

Some guys on here (craig for one) will tell you that the Truck Avenger by Holley is almost as good as Fuel Injection. I don't know personally but have heard many swear by it. That is going to be one of my next major upgrades to my CJ, once i get back together and running.

Comment

Just have more momentum when you get to the hill

Comment

You could probably look into swapping in propane. They did that in JP also and they did it with used parts off of ebay. I don't know if it would totally fix the problem, but it would be better than a carb.

Comment

I have a Holley Trash can sitting on top. Some of my buddies are running edelbrocks and have better luck than i do but this is what i have done to help the problem.

1) Lower the fuel level in the bowls to an absolute minimum, Mine are to the point that if you mash the skinny pedal it will starve out, but it is good at half to three quarters of pedal.

2) Raise the vent tube on the carb as high as possible with a chunk of rubber gas line, Mine is about 4 in taller than stock.

This Does Help quite a bit i can not run at extreme angles but it is much better than it used to be.

Comment

Had a carter and it was ok. Went to a Weber and it was better all around. Incline still had a problem. Read a page in a mag about an plate you can install, made by Detours. They make proformance parts for Jeeps. Can't find the #. Detours, LLC 12 Fish Plain RD. Clinton, CT 06413. Thats all I can find right now. Put it on but had alot of snow during deer season. It got too greasey to get the real steep incline. Still got about foot or so left on the ground. Have to let you know.
                Last edited by Upper1; 03-28-2005, 08:26 PM.

Comment

i have a truck avenger on mine, and both me and craig (fubar) swear by em, i have never had any problems with it, when i did it was after the engine got a lot meaner and had a big ole cam in it, the cam did not produced enough vacum to have ti operate right, i called holley and they told me to send it to em...i did and they sent me a custom carb for my vacum situation...the holley is a quarter the price and i can go places that my fuely friends can with ease...i actually had a guy watch me climb this mondo hill and when i was done he asked me how i like the fuel injection and such...i told him it was a carb, you shoulda seen the look on his face, priceless.

Comment

carb

carb with center hung floats. Holly makes one

Comment

I know you want to know about the best carb, but it will always be second best to fuel injection. I've got a SBC, SM465 tranny, locked front and rear. And the one mod that improved drivability and the "fun factor" more than anything was the Holley Projection that I installed after trying several carbs. Even with all the power and low gearing that I had, hills and rock crawling caused stalls and hard starts. With my Holley Projection, it will grunt all the way down to 400 rpm and still pull strong, even with brakes locked.

Don't waste your money on a carb. Guys will spend 5 grand on tires, wheels and lockers, but complain about 1 grand for FI. I think the FI is the best value.

IROKCJ5

Comment

/thanks

I believe you are right.

Comment

I know a lot of people like the truck avenger, but I won't touch anything made by Holley. I have wasted too much money on their finnicky carbs over the years. I run an Edelbraock Performer (same as Carter AFB) with spring-loaded needle & seats. It has a center bowl design and you can change the fuel mixture without having to take the carb apart thanks to an excellent metering rod design. You can't do that with a Holley. It runs perfect at any angle in any weather. I have also heard Rochester Quadrajets do well for 4-wheeling but they are definitely not user friendly and are a pain to work on.

Comment

as has been mentioned, i do like the truck avengers. i have one on my ford and one to put on the 304 going in my cj. very easy to manage carburators. even those that don't like other holley carbs like the TA once they use it.

Comment

I hope your right Fubar, I am also one of those that never had much luck with holleys but after reading all the good reports on the TA by you and others, I will be installing it next weekend. Hopefully, if everything goes right I will be starting the eng for the first time next saturday. All I need is the TA which is on order and my GM HEI dist which is also in route.

Comment

Working...
                              X