X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor shaft play?

I replaced my dizzy about two years ago. It was shot, wobbling al over the place. Now this one is starting wobble. How much play is "acceptable"? I don't have a dial indicator, but this old woodworker is thinking it's got about 1/32" to 1/16" of side to side play at the rotor...it's scoring the cap contacts slightly.

I ~think~ I've got the Autozone "lifetime" warranty on it. I gotta dig out my receipts and see. If not, what suggestions for a replacement dizzy? I'm running TFI already and can't afford the nice billet HEI units.
    Edit: just found this one: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=15086
    Does it come with the cap and rotor too? What other mods do I need to make it work (plug wires?) Is this one I'd have to shim up to keep from chewing drive gears?
    Last edited by Gryphon; 05-21-2008, 12:14 AM.

Originally posted by Gryphon View Post
    I'm running TFI already and can't afford the nice billet HEI units.
    Edit: just found this one: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=15086
    Does it come with the cap and rotor too? What other mods do I need to make it work (plug wires?) Is this one I'd have to shim up to keep from chewing drive gears?
    That HEI is a great bargin(100 bucks)!
    I just bought the AMC V8 model last week. It comes with everything, except plug wires. You will need to get some new 8.5mm wires with the 90degree cap jackets (another 100 bucks)
    FYI, these ARE the units that have been chewing up cam gears due to the hardend steel dizzy drive gear. I read alot of horror stories about it elsewhere and decided to just use my old dizzy drive gear. NO PROBLEMS!!! Didnt have to reshim or nothing. Perfect fit!
    Hook up is super easy and this dizzy allows you to can your ignition module, coil, and quite a few wires, resulting in a cleaner looking compartment.
    As far as performance goes...
    My 79 CJ has never ever fired so smooth in all the time I have had it. No more missing, better power all around! I am 100% happy with this unit!
    IMHO, you be stupid not to buy this bargin.
    JUST CHANGE THE DRIVE GEAR!!!

BTW-First post!

Comment

Also, FYI, the MSD HEI is a duplicate cap and rotor replacement for this bargin HEI.

Comment

hit and miss...

Gryphon,

Myrtle is running the 304 version of that dizzy. I have had zero problems with mine, but there is a guy in product review that hit some snags. Also, it looks like Hill Bill might have had some trouble with his. (A post from him yesterday in that same thread.) Do some reading.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater View Post
          Gryphon,

Myrtle is running the 304 version of that dizzy. I have had zero problems with mine, but there is a guy in product review that hit some snags. Also, it looks like Hill Bill might have had some trouble with his. (A post from him yesterday in that same thread.) Do some reading.
          Yup, that thread is why I asked, I wasn't sure if it applied to the 258 and if that was the right dizzy, I've not looked at them before. For the price...wow, it's 50 bucks cheaper than the one I got now.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

lol hill...nice deer carrier ...you say it came stock eh?

Comment

Up down play of HEI

I installed the host HEI and it runs great, Have about 5 minutes run time. I keep reading about cam gears getting the worst of the marriage to the HEI gear. I having a hard time from the directions on the amount of up down play and where to grap to measure the play. Do I just grap the rotor and see if it will go down or what. I do have one gasket installed that came with the HEI. The original motor has under 10K miles so all is good there and I want to keep it good there too. This eating of the cam gear worries me some

Comment

Originally posted by scobar View Post
                  I installed the host HEI and it runs great, Have about 5 minutes run time. I keep reading about cam gears getting the worst of the marriage to the HEI gear. I having a hard time from the directions on the amount of up down play and where to grap to measure the play. Do I just grap the rotor and see if it will go down or what. I do have one gasket installed that came with the HEI. The original motor has under 10K miles so all is good there and I want to keep it good there too. This eating of the cam gear worries me some
                  The dizzy gear end play should be .015" or less. There is a shim kit available for these (Mr. Gasket, I think...).

Most people put the dizzy gear from their old dizzy on the new one, providing it is in good shape.

I bought a matched cam/dizzy gear set from www.bulltear.com.

I love my HEI distributor, but was just told on another forum that an HEI dizzy, 8.5mm wires, .045" spark gap, advancing the timing,etc. does absolutely nothing to improve a carburated engine. Unless it's all in my head, I disagree. What do you guys think?

Comment

i got it in my 258 a friend told me to smooth the rough edges of the teeth with some fine sand paper. he told me not to get crazy with the sanding about 30 sec. for the whole gear should do it. you should have no problems. i listen to him cause hes an oldschool mech. i also found another to help me whith the timming and carb work.you know set it by ear type fellow. i tend to look for people of "the era". i just shut up listen say yes sir, do you need anything wrench, screwdriver, beer. just dont say maybe is a sensor! they might slap you!

Comment

Working...
                    X