X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj5 factory soft top parts

I am restoring a rather nice '78 cj5 and I am looking for some factory soft top hardware. I currently have both doors, front bow, and upper section of rear bow. I suppose what I need is; lower section of rear bow with related spring loaded stops for each side, pivoting mount which mounts to body tub and release pins for each side, both door handles and related latching hardware, and I assume there is a rod which goes over the door mounting between the windshield frame and front bow per each side. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe this will help....http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/51597.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by alfawolf7 View Post
      I think that's for a Supertop installation. Not stock

Comment

I will go through all of my CJ top parts and see if I have anything still laying around.

I don't ever use the stock stuff (I always get a new top) so I may still have some things hanging around.

Comment

you can make the lower rods yourself...they sell the buttons at alot of hardware stores and you can use a piece of conduit for the pipe...for the door uppers you need a piece of steel rod for each side, cut it so it holds the top up from the seam (if there is one)...but you have to drill and weld a piece on the rod to go over the lower rod that sits at the rear of the door opening...do you have the plastic pieces that go on the windshield?

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. After reading The Captains reply, I think maybe I can use some parts from a besttop that I have. I am wanting full view doors, which is only available on a R-A-T. Not to mention how tired I am of raking my arm across the besttop door strikers while reaching into my jeep. I have owned this particular '78 cj5 since '96 and am freshening it up with new paint, interior, top, headman fenderwell exit headers, stainless brake lines and hoses, and full roll cage. Running a sbc 355 (dyno'd @ 425 hp) , T-176, model 300 transfer, 4:10 gears in a model 20 with moser one pc. axles, 15.50 x 36 MT radial ATZ on ARE 15 x 10 MT look alike wheels and about 7" lift. Going old school on paint this time, black with yellow, orange, red and blue flames with tan top and interior, should be pretty nice.
            Last edited by waynecocj5; 05-28-2008, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
              you can make the lower rods yourself...they sell the buttons at alot of hardware stores and you can use a piece of conduit for the pipe...for the door uppers you need a piece of steel rod for each side, cut it so it holds the top up from the seam (if there is one)...but you have to drill and weld a piece on the rod to go over the lower rod that sits at the rear of the door opening...do you have the plastic pieces that go on the windshield?
              Hey Captain....Sounds like you have done this. Do you have any pics? I have already installed the plastic pieces on the windshield and made the upper rod. I still need to figure out the verticle rod at the rear of the door opening as well as a striker of some sort so the doors can latch.

Comment

nah, i haven't done it myself but i do go to the hardware store and browse alot...plus i let some guy with an FJ-40 take my top bows home to see if they could fit up to it and never got em back...i've been wanting some for a while now and was about to make my own when i found them on craigslist for super cheap (yes, not regular cheap, super cheap )...check the link and see what the hardware thief has been up too.

http://www.psychoforlove.com/huge-it...orth-carolina/

Comment

Maybe you should ask one of his wives if they could return the bows to you....hehe.

Comment

I have a 1978 OEM soft top. I have not had it on the jeep for 12 years or so and some of the parts are in a box in storage but from what I remember:

2 bows, 1 for the middle of the top behind the front seats (straight up and down), 1 angled to the back. Both attach at a small U channel that is screwed into the top edge of the tub. The front bow screws to the U channel and I forget how the back bow attaches. I'll have to get the parts box out of storage.

There is a plastic piece that screws to the side of the window frame (inside of the door when closed) from the top of the window to the bottom of the window. This piece has a hole in the top of it to accept a steel rod and acts as a "stop" for the inside of the door when closed.

There is a rod that goes from the windshield (fits in the hole of the plastic piece screwed to the window frame) to the middle bow. It fits in a hole in the bow. This rod has a square tab with about a 3/4" hole in it, welded towards the bow end of the rod.

There is a rod that goes into a hole in the top of the tub at the back of the door (by the door latch). There are ears attached to the bottom of the rod that act as a "stop" to keep it from pushing into the hole in the tub too far. The top of the rod goes into a rubber cup that then fits into the hole in the tab of the horizontal rod above to keep it secure. The rubber cup keeps the metals from squeaking.

My 1977 OEM service manual has nothing, but my 1981 OEM service manual shows goofy plate kind of like the plastic pieces the TJ soft top have but nothing on the bottom of the back bow attachment.

I hope this helps.

Kriss

Comment

Thanks Kriss, my jeep is at the paint shop now, as it has been for nearly a month now. I have busted my ever-livin' arse this winter trying to get it ready for summer. Now my paint shop buddy is dragging his feet to the point that I'm ready to choke him. I've already paid him well by trading out work for his labor. He's paid, the jeep is ready to wet sand and spray, summer is here, but no jeep! At the paint shop's rate of progress, I don't know if I'm ever gonna need a top! But thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X