X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trashed

I'm kinda stuck at a crossroad here. the amc 20 rear that is in my jeep is trashed. I need a replacement rear end, my question is should i spend the money to put another amc20 in and fixing all the weakness they have or should i put a d44 in. and how extensive is it to put a 44 in, I'm kinda learning as i go and i don't want to pay anyone to do it for me. any advice is great
    thanks in advance

Try this thread. I searched AMC 20 and found lots of topics.
    AMC 20

Comment

I know about rebuilding the amc20 but the one i have i can't because it is completly trashed housing and all what i was wondering is it worth buying another 20 upgrading it or just swaping in a d44. considering cost to long term dependability

Comment

Do you have a narrow track or wide axle track CJ ? Dana 44 are kind of slim to find at times .
        I would go with the 44 swap . pretty much a straight bolt in , depending if you can get one with your gear ratio.

Comment

narrow track with 273 gears

Comment

44. I have read that a ford 8.8? will hook up nice. I think the one out of a ford explorer

Comment

I run 33s with a AMC 20, one piece axles and a Detroit..havent had any problems. Dana 44 out of pre '76 CJs are an easy swap...just need to relocate spring perches. I would find a rear axle with lower gears and replace the fronts to match (273s are way to high). Unless its built for the highway.

Comment

Working...
              X