X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Kit and Tires

I am new at Jeeps. I sold my harley and now I am into the Jeep thing and love it. I don't do any heavy four wheeling but I do do some occasional mud boggin and dirt road riding. I have a 1984 CJ 7 with no lift and it has 33" wild contry tires now. I am installing a 360 engine now and when that is done I am going to lift it up and put some new tires under it. The jeep is basically used for afternoons and weekends to ride around and enjoy some drinks. What sort of lift and tires do you suggest? I want it to look good! The most important part is the money-This is a hobby so I dont want to spend too much money but I do want quality stuff! I might put 8k-10k miles per year on my jeep. What do ya'll suggest?

Re

Rubicon Express(RE) makes quality suspension lift kits for CJ's. You can choose from 2.5" or 4.5" of lift. Also, the front leaf springs are .5 " wider than stock so it makes for a quality ride. They are more expensive than some susp. lifts, but you get what you pay for. The 2.5 " kit comes with front and rear greasable shackles, quick disonnects for sway bar, as well as all the hardware needed for installation in addition to 4 new leaf springs. The 4.5" comes with a dropped pitman arm and longer disconnect tubes in addition to stuff included in 2.5" lift kit. Hope this helps. You will find cheaper lift kits, but I can vouch for the quality of RE. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Thank You for your opinion!

Comment

That 360 will have some giddyup. Another lift option is the 2.5 with 1" body lift gives you 3.5 without flirting with drive shaft angles. DP

Comment

For the money, time and effort ... I would go with the 4wd 4" suspension lift and a set of the new interco 34" LTBs (they are cheap and look pretty damn good)

Comment

Have you ever been up near Sylvania to the mud pit? I think that is where it is. It might be shut down by now. That was a lot of fun.

By the way, you picked one expensive hobby to not want to spend alot of money on. A Jeep hobby is nothing but an avalanche waiting to happen.

I would go with something like Black Diamond or 4WD or SkyJacker. Not nearly as expensive as say an RE or OME kit but they work. And also, I would go with a 4" because once you start the lifting and big tires, you will just want more lift and bigger tires. Go ahead and do it now.

Comment

Sylvania

A jeep is expensive but not nearly as expensive as a Harley (HD stands for hundred dollars because everytime you pass a harley dealership you have to spend atleast 1 hundred dollars). My 258 ran fairly good but it smoked so I decided to go ahead and get a 360 dropped in. I found it used with 5k-8k miles on it. There is hardly no rust on it and everything works. I am upgrading the engine and the tires and then upgrading as needed after that.

Sylvania is only about 20 minutes from my house. Beaver Creak Raceway is what you are talking about. It is a lot of fun and they are still open as far as I know. They have mud racing, truck pulling and mud boggin. We have a monthly mud bog in Cobbtown, GA as well. I will try to get some pictures and post them but it will be several weeks.
              Last edited by russell; 03-31-2005, 08:35 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Blocks

I talked to a guy I work with and we were talking about lifts and he said he would put a 2"-3" block lift on my Jeep. He said it was cheap and easy and looks almost as good as a suspension lift. What do ya'll think??

Comment

Well personally I would not want to do it. Those original leaf springs are probably worn out if they are anything like mine. And the cost to replace them is halfway to the cost of a lift kit (in most cases).

Comment

Originally posted by russell
                    I talked to a guy I work with and we were talking about lifts and he said he would put a 2"-3" block lift on my Jeep. He said it was cheap and easy and looks almost as good as a suspension lift. What do ya'll think??
                    So.... ya got a spring over conversion done already? (which would give ya 5+ inches of lift by itself)

Putting blocks in a jeep would normally lower it, since the axle is on top of the springs.

*and blocks are generally not a good idea anyway, xcept maybe nissans*
                    Last edited by 86cj_wally; 03-31-2005, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Undecided

I found out after I wrote the message about adding the blocks that Jeeps ar different that trucks and adding a block kit will lower a Jeep instead of raising it. I think what I am going to do is replace the leaf springs and add a leaf spring to give it the 1"-2" I am looking for. I should havemy 360 installed this week and I hope to take some pictures of it and post them.

Comment

just don't put spinners on it.

HD= hundred dollars
                        JEEP= just empty every pocket

Comment

Originally posted by russell
                          I found out after I wrote the message about adding the blocks that Jeeps ar different that trucks and adding a block kit will lower a Jeep instead of raising it. I think what I am going to do is replace the leaf springs and add a leaf spring to give it the 1"-2" I am looking for. I should havemy 360 installed this week and I hope to take some pictures of it and post them.
                          Why would you bother replacing the springs AND add a leaf. 1) It'll just make the ride stiffer, and 2) If your going to replace the springs, just get ones with 2-2.5" lift and the proper spring rate and be done?

Comment

go with a 3.5 to 4.5" lift & then you can clear a 35" tire. Just buy a nice kit such as a 4wd Hardware or Rubicon Express. If you do a decent amount of mud, take a look at Super Swamper TSL Radials (the 36x14.50's would be a kick *** tire on a Jeep w/ a 1" or 2" body lift). You can get a decent number of miles out of them on a Jeep, but they really kick *** on trail & mud.

Comment

Add a Leaf

How hard is it to add a leaf spring to get 1"-2" lift?? What are the positives and negatives to adding a leaf??

Comment

Working...
                              X