X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter

Got in the jeep this morning and click click sound, does not start, didn't have time to check the battery, but I'm thinking it's the battery or the starter solenoid, my question is, when i bought the jeep from the PO over a year ago I replaced the starter solenoid, could a bad starter actually cause the solenoid to go bad, it seems to me that the solenoid starts the starter so in turn it couldn't be caused to go bad from a bad starter. This is why I think it's the solenoid or battery. Once again I will need to check the voltage at the battery when I get home.

try by-passing the sylanoid with a pair of jumpers. if the starter works, its either hte sylanoid or bad conections. in omst casses its a bad conection

Comment

Doesn't the starter need the solenoid in order to work? Isn't it used to help the starter turn over?

Comment

that is what lets the power flow through to the starter when the key is turned, jumping the two posts just bypasses the relay .... give it a shot ... the worst that can happen is you shoot some sparks and get shocked!!!!

Comment

Correction, worst that can happen is you leave it in gear and try to jump it. And then by way of multiple 'ruh-roh's" occuring you end up running over yourself, some one else, and whatever else in the jeeps way.

Oh yeah... leave the tranny in neutral and be careful.

But to me it sounds like ya got a dead battery or loose connection.

Comment

No the worst that could have is that I do leave it in gear and run over my wifes piece of crap saturn..lol I will try to bypass and check for loose connections, to look back it has seemed to take more to crank it, so maybe the battery finally went dead.

Comment

How old is the battery?, that is what it sounds like to me.

Comment

The battery does sound like it is bad since I replaced the solenoid when I got it a year ago, will check when I get home. The battery is quite old but don't know the exact date, will check on the battery.

Comment

Working...
                X