X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep stereo

Anyone know of a decent stereo that fits in the factory dash opening of an '81 CJ-7? If not, maybe some suggestions of what I could get that would work with a little adjusting. PO cut out an opening in the dash but I'm putting a stainless steel plate on the gauges and it has the original opening cut out. Thanks

measure it, and go to www.crutchfield.com and look around. the more it costs, the better it is. (usualy)

Comment

This is the one I put in mine. Sanyo Radio I loved it...but it didn't love my leaking windshield cowl seal and only lasted a few rain storms!

Comment

Have to laugh about that. It's definitely a problem with older Jeeps. I'll go to Crutchfield and see what they have. That sanyo doesn't look too bad. Seems at that price you could afford to replace it a couple times.

I had a Jeep years ago and had some speakers that were supposed to be more weather resistant. Can't remember what they were. Anyone know of some dash speakers that will hold up to an occasional shower?

Thanks for the info.

Comment

when i get the money to spend on luxery im guna get a marine cd player and speakers. a little more, but, more resistant to water and such

Comment

I just did a water-tight, custom center console, and put the radio in it. If you clean up the stock radio & leave it in the dash, they may never look for the good one in its real location.

Comment

Here's my setup:
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g/DSCF1026.jpg

Left my stock radio in. It works fine. Over all these years, has never fizzled out from leaking water. And trust me, there are some leaks...

Comment

Just got back from Crutchfield. Only thing they had was the Sanyo. $79 not to bad. So I'm going with that. Thanks for the help.

Hey Renegadestang... Thanks for the pic. What kind of speakers did you get to fit in the dash like that?

Comment

Originally posted by 81grrrjeep
                  Just got back from Crutchfield. Only thing they had was the Sanyo. $79 not to bad. So I'm going with that. Thanks for the help.

Hey Renegadestang... Thanks for the pic. What kind of speakers did you get to fit in the dash like that?
                  Everywhere I looked told me that 4" speakers is what fit. I got some 4" Lightning Audios...tabs were too short for mounting. So I measured from stud to stud: 5 1/4". So I went back up to Wal-Mart, returned my Lightning Audios, and got a pair of 5 1/4" Pioneers, better sound anyway. Also, had to put in some washers to space the speaker back from the dash b/c of the tweeter on the speaker. They are 2-ways.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Installed the stereo yesterday. Have to say that Sanyo was a real pain to get in there. But it's in there now. Sounds a lot better than the piece of crap that was there before.

Renegadestang...thanks for the tip on the speakers. Fit just right. Slipped right in there! Sound pretty good too.

Thanks again.

Comment

this is making me want to put a small system in my jeep. come on guys, no temptaions! i need a lift and tires

Comment

Hey... $79 for the Sanyo and $38 for the speakers(Pioneer). Not bad for a huge upgrade over what I had. By the way, same speakers at Crutchfield...$50!!

I have alot of things to do to the Jeep too. Most CJ owners would tell you the same thing.

Have a good one.

Comment

im starting to think about this more, i can get tunes coming for around 150, but a lift kit and tires would cost me around a grand.and tunes when driving around without a top for the summer sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by 81grrrjeep

Have you tryed e-bay??? You can get a nice unit for less than Crutchfield charges

Comment

Working...
                            X