X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 XJ 2 door

I have recently sold my '88 XJ and my ZJ is a non-trail vehicle now; or so my wife tells me. I am looking at a '96 4.0/5spd 2 door w/about 115000miles. Lots of new parts ($600 to 800 approx. rad,alt,shocks etc). A 5spd is what I want but a few guys tell me that 2 doors are tougher to lift.(shorted wheelbase--vibes?). The guy is asking about $5500 Canadian ($3800-4000 USD --ish). This is a trail/DD rig. My buddy is putting in the RE 4.5 full spring pack lift on his '92 XJ , cuting the fenders and going w/33's. I'll check the ride of it befor I order anything. RE stuff seems to be well liked here.Enough back ground.Any 2 door guys out there fine any more problems than a 4 door? One more question; do '96 XJs have the larger 297 u-joints? Thanks.
    http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...spx?ID=9386695
    Last edited by nonnie; 04-12-2005, 03:43 PM. Reason: Added link to XJ

suspension and driveline wise 2 door and 4 door xj's are exactly the same

Comment

Originally posted by catyrpelius
      suspension and driveline wise 2 door and 4 door xj's are exactly the same
      that is what I was told when I ordered my lift for my 2dr xj.
      cant wait untill I get the funds up for a newer and bigger lift and tires.
      Full Traction will be my ticket.

Comment

i gotst a 2dr...no problems...i also heard that 2drs are better for serious trimming cause you dont have a back door to worry about when trimming the back for clearance...i have a RE 3.5...do vibes or anything, that weren't there before the lift.

Comment

If you are worried about vibes, then you should be concerned with what axle is in the rearend. I had a 96 2 door 5 speed... sorry just sold it, and it had the 8.25, great axle... low low pinion, a transfer case drop will do nothing with over about 3.5 inches... or at least thats how my application ended up. I ended up with about 5 inches total and man did that thing hum. When it is going to vibe all depends on you luck it seems like ha ha ha.. my friend has like 6.5 inches on his and rides smooth as a dream. Yeah so thats my input straight from a 96 two door owner, or former :why did i sell it: but I pick up my wj on saturday!! no wheelin till im outta school unfortunately.... but trust me my next build up is going to be out of hand!

Comment

The low 8.25 angle is something I've read about.A guy should almost put a 35 in there until a good axle candidate comes along.3.5" and lots of trimming should give a guy 32's flexed........right?I'll probably stay 31's until I can afford axles/gears.5spds are 3:07s I think. I have access to a 3:55 set of gears from an auto. I may swap axles(gears) to get the lower ratio.Going from 28" tires to 31"s (approx) will adjust a couple of hundred rpms on highway but give back a bit of the performance.
            http://www.oly4x4.com/gearratios.htm
            Last edited by nonnie; 04-14-2005, 07:39 AM.

Comment

ya around here lifting is common (BC, what do you expect, most of our roads are delapidated logging roads.. mmmm nice 4x4ing ) ive heard guys say a 2dr is shorter than the 4 door, interior wise seems to be atleast (I am 6'2" and ican sleep in the back of my 4 door with an air matress and the front seats all the way forward, I cant do that in a 2 door.) as for lift, usually a t-case drop with a pinion angle adjustment will aline it up nice for anything 4.5" or less (with a 5 speed of course) and also put in a YJ slip yoke(longer of course) I bought an auto jeep and im switching the tranis (my old jeep was stick) so thats how im gettin the 3.55 gears with the 31" tires... its really worth it.. my friend hardly sees 5th gear in his 91 when on the highway, and hes gota really ride the clutch in town...gota love stock gears
              Last edited by dh_4_ever; 04-15-2005, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X