X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy with a new guy question.

Hey guys Im new to the forum and jeeps so please forgive my ignorance! I just got a 1951 CJ-3A from a neighbor that had it sitting around in a shed, it was given to him about 30 years ago and he never did anything with it and knew pretty much nothing about it so he was happy to send it my way when I asked about it, lucky me! Several parts later I am close to having it going but my big concern is the two levers to the right of the shifter. I know they have something to do with engaging power to the wheels but other than that Im stumped. what position do I want them in if Im just cruising around the streets? what position engages the 4-wheel? any info is appreciated, I just don't want to mess something up over a stupid mistake.
    thanks
    -Tom

One lever is for high range and low range and one lever is to engage the front axle. One thing to remember if it has lock out hubs on the front axle and they are unlocked you won't see a difference for 2wd or 4wd. For testing purpose lock them in. You should be able to tell by matter of playing with them which is which. For on the road you want high range 2wd hubs unlocked.

Comment

you can probably buy the knobs for the levers with the pattern in them. or at least look them up to see whats what.

Comment

the lever closer to tranny shifter should be 4wd, forward for in, back for out, the smaller shifter is hi/low forward for hi , back for low.. i think . you should not be able to shift into low 2wd unless it has been modified. there may still be a plate on dash that has the diagram for it.

Comment

Hey thanks for the help guys! I got it going and got drive it around over the weekend and got some excited looks from the old guys that knew what it was. looking forward to getting it looking more like it did originally.

Comment

the bug has bitten another victim. welcome sir.

Comment

How about some pics !!!!

Comment

oss beat me to it, pics!!

Comment

JonTom Congrats on the Willys & If you need parts I suggest Walcks four wheel drive in Bowmanstown PA. 610-852-3110 They are a father and son business and know EVERYTHING about Willys & have all the parts If you want a pretty catalog to look at they dont have that just a parts list with the best prices and all the KNOWLEDGE If you want a pretty catalog get one from Kaiser Willys auto supply 888-648-4923 Hope this helps you out with the restoration & may I say Welcome To The Brotherhood of Willys Jeep owners

Comment

Hey thanks for directing me to Walck's yelpu1. I had been looking for a good place for repro parts. headed over to their website and ordered a bunch of parts, I have a feeling I will be frequenting them, much to my wallets dismay.
                    and sorry to you guys that wanted pics I cant get this thing to put them up. sorry.

Comment

Hope we helped out!

=)

Comment

Working...
                      X