X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking windshield

Okay, so I've got a hard top lined up, just need to go get it.
    Next problem is leaking windshield. Without a top (and in a warmer climate, snow sucks) I would dress in a way that if I got soaked, it didn't really bother me, but now with a top, I plan on making the jeep (relatively) leak free, realiizing that it will never be completely that way, and putting it back on the road on a regular basis.
    I have a couple of leaks that are between the (bulging-suspect rusted) metal and the rubber that surrounds the glass.
    I would like to remove the glass and rubber, and then sand/grind out the rust, and then replace whatever is missing by welding over it (not me, I have a buddy that welds) and grinding down the welds to shape. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? After seeing the threads on new windshields, I am hesitant to spend the money on a new one, mine is in pretty good shape, except for those couple of leaks. I was also thinking that if the areas aren't in too bad of shape, then I could use JB weld or a body filler in place. Anybody done this before? Thanks, Alex.

I would not use JB weld.
    As for welding new metal in. Take it off and find out.
    Also when you have it out plan on getting a new seal, put it in with clear silicone, under the lip and between the cowl and windsheild, both sides.

As for sealing around the glass rubber(with a sealent) I wouldn't do that. I think it will be more problem than it solves.
    Also don't forget to get the seal for the top.

Comment

Penguin - what is your opinion on JB weld? Just curious what someone with some expirence with it thinks. I thought about using it for a few things in the near future, looking for some insight. Thanks.

Comment

JB Weld works fine for filling solid parts, and fixing solid parts(although I don't have much luck with it 50/50). I have never seen it work well with a thin out-reaching situations. It breaks to easy in my experience.

Comment

i agree with penguin. in my experience too it likes to break when applied thin. strong when thicker.

Comment

Alex,
            I'm sure that you've inspected well and know where your leaks are, however, the drain for the air intake/intake hose/fresh air door is often a culprit that appears to be the windshield frame at first glance. You might check it out if you haven't.

Comment

Working...
            X