X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In and out of 4 wheel drive

I am having a hell of a time with the shift lever getting in and out..forward..backward...forward...backward. How can I check on binding linkage or what would anyone guess as the culprit. Once in gear..goes great!

I have the same problem, i know my problem.....just kind of lazy to doing bc, i can usually get it in and it isnt that big of a deal for me. My linkage just needs to be adjusted a bit....... by the way, whut kind of CJ do u have, TC?

Comment

I can put my transfer case INTO 4wd hi or lo with ease but taking it out of low is a lot like wrestling an alligator. So far it has always came out but the video of the process would be humerous.

Comment

Mine is also a #@!&% to go in or out of 4wd

Comment

I may not be thinking straight here, but usually there is going to be pressure on the gears which will make it difficult to move in and out of gear at times. Lock-out hubs help with this. put your jeep into 4wd, then engage the hubs. To take it out, disengage the hubs and then shift out of 4wd. There is going to be some binding. Rocking the jeep helps too.

Comment

Oh sorry, I have an 85 CJ7 5 speed.

Comment

I FIND THAT IF I ROLL ALITTLE BACK OR FORWARD WITH SOME LIGHT PRESSURE ON TRANSFER CASE SHIFTER IT HELPS. SOME OF THE TRANSFER LINKAGES HAVE GREASE FITTINGS.

Comment

I FIND THAT IF I ROLL ALITTLE BACK OR FORWARD WITH SOME LIGHT PRESSURE ON TRANSFER CASE SHIFTER IT HELPS. SOME OF THE TRANSFER LINKAGES HAVE GREASE FITTINGS.

Comment

I just think it's something that we have to deal with.

Every Jeep that I have had, had the same problem, I roll back a foot or two & push in the clutch & it pops right out of LOW range, if I force it I can't get it out of 4x4 low.

My automatic, I just flip the lever out of low range & put it in neutral & back in drive again & I'm off.

Just my two cents.

Have A Great Day!

JB

Comment

Working...
                  X