X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72-75 Vs. 76 and later, difference?

I have a 74 CJ5 and was looking at getting new seats. But most of the seats in the 4wd mag. say 76 and later. What is the difference between the 75 and 76 year? I also was curious about the dashes? I would like a new dash but the only ones I have seen fit a 76 and up.

Any ideas?

Thrlskr,

I too own a "redheaded stepchild" known as the '72 to 75' Jeep CJ5.... (See post in CJ5)... I guess there was a body change in 1975. 1976 and up apparently are more popular, since there are plenty of these parts available...

Comment

There was a body style change in '76. The reason that the dash is for '76 and up is becasue the dash area and windshield frame are different from the '76 and up. The seat brackets are also different. If you want to get the seats, then you have to get brackets for a '76 and up!

Comment

I believe if you check you'll find the '74 floor board is made of flat sheet metal with sharp bends and the '76 and newer floor boards are die formed having large radius bends, thus the different seat brackets.

Comment

Dimensionally the 76-newer dash should fit the 75-older bodies. The only issue I am aware of is the steering column difference and getting the right length heater control cables to work with your box.

You will have to either fabricate a completely new seat bracket or perhaps make an adapter bracket to allow the 76-newer seats to fit on your 75-older brackets.

Comment

seats...

I am rebuilding a 75 CJ-5 with a 4wd fiberglass body.

NEWSFLASH: if you use their expensive seat brackets for a 75 and lower, and any seat:

-The seat is too low.
            -The seat is held forward because it hits the step-up. (Giving you about 6" of room between the back of the seat and the steering wheel.

I have fabbed my own brackets, and am getting the seats modified by an auto reupholsterer in town.

Comment

Working...
            X