X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring modification

ok ya'll i decided to keep my heep sprung under from the time being, but i am goin to have my axle out fropm under the jeep so i figured i may remove a leaf in the pack to lossen up the spring pack in the rear as it will not hardly flex at all. right now the back is about an inch and a half to two inches higher then the front due to the motor weight. the question i have is what leaf should i remove? they are pro comp 4" lift springs. should i tak out the next one from the main leaf or a middle leaf? let say the main leaf is number 1 then the other are 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

anyone?

Comment

Well i've never tried that but i would think that the longer the leaf the more resistance it is adding in the pack. So If that the case, and you really want to loosen it up, take the one next to the main leaf. One question that comes to mind though. If you take one of those leafs out would affect the strength of the main leaf causing it to bend or break easier?????

Comment

If you start removing leafs then your gonna cause axle wrap. Can you just put a slightly longer shackle up front to level it? You want the rear up an inch or so when you put stuff in the back or carry passengers. Unless the rear looks like a hot rod then leave it.

Comment

problem is not the way it sits, but rather the way it flexes, or lack of actually. even with all my tools, spare stuff, and misc. crap it will not flex at all, springs are just too stiff, and axle wrap does not condern me...not sprung over and have military wrap. i just need to soften up the springs so they will flex, right now my suspension is not balanced and the fronts are doin literally all the works, rear will only flex 2-4 inchs before tire lifts or will not compress any morebelow are some pics of what i am talking bout, you will see that they do not flex worth a crap in the rear cause they just too stiff. by the way carrying extra and tow is not figured in cause i dont tow anything with this...that is what i have a grand cherokee for...

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/572...sale5ec.th.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/507...ale13hc.th.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/602...ale36ak.th.jpg

Comment

I did this same thing. I have lift springs that im guessing to approximately 4 inches of lift and I wanted a smoother ride and better flex. I took out the 1st and 3rd from the bottom. I think i have like 8 leaves so it would have been number 8 and 6. It lowered my CJ about 2.5 inches and rides much better. I took out the small ones because i figured the shorter they are the least they flex. Makes sense right? If you stand in the middle of an 8 foot 2x4 with either end on blocks, its gonna flex. Do the same with a length of 2 feet and it probably wont. Well thats the idea behind it. I get better flex but I think i might get somewhat better results than you because Im SOA. Just my .02

Comment

how many times have you had these springs off roading? they will get a little more flexy for you.

-Nick

Comment

actually they have been off many times, the front ones settled and are working really well as you can see in the pic. the rears are the ones i have problems with.
                clay

Comment

ok i finished up my leaves. the jeep now sits perfectly level with all my tools and spares in the back but without the jerry cans full. this mean sit'll sit about 1/2-3/4" low when they are, overall i am happy with the results the springs are much softer and more articulate, i maxed out my 5 ton and it was much much smoother and it seems the front and rear suspension are now better balanced, i will find out for sure this weekend. i removed the bottom and second from the bottom springs (the first is the overload). i never tow with my jeep so the overload is never used until i start to try to flex. i will post pics latter on, right now on level ground i have about 28 inches to the bottom of the rocker panel.
                  clay

Comment

Working...
                  X