X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf over?

Does anyone have a leaf over lift on a CJ-5?

I'm thinking about doing it but want to know if it is worth the time and effort.

I'm not a hardcore 4-wheeler, but here's my opinion:
    ..It all depends on what you're gonna do with your jeep.
    ..Spring over axle creates quite a lift (5", or so). Why do you you need such a lift?
    ..This greatly reduces stability on, or, off-road. Wide track axles would help. If you're doing this to fit larger than 33" tires, you should upgrade from the stock jeep axles, anyway. You can fit larger tires without s.o.a.
    ..I,personally, would not do it, but then again..I don't have the need to do so.It's definitely a personal decision.

Many others have done a s.o.a. conversion, and I'm sure you'll get their input, as well.

Comment

ditto...

Originally posted by rixcj View Post
      ..I,personally, would not do it, but then again..I don't have the need to do so.It's definitely a personal decision...
      I'm with Rix, Shockley. You gotta evaluate your personal use and preferences, but I wouldn't do it. Getcha self a quality spring under kit.

Comment

There's a lot more to it than just putting the springs on top. You pretty much have to re engineer the steering to do it right. A four inch lift and 33-35's is all I would think you would want on a CJ5 without changing the axles out for something wider and stronger. Now if you are going to stretch the wheelbase and go 60/14b then yeah, you probably want a spring over and larger than 35 inch tires.

High5

Comment

If you are going to do any serious of roading or if the Jeep is a toy you will be doing a leaf over no matter what axles or springs you have. Have to fit those tires in and have spring travel. Less stuff under the axle is a good thing. And you will probably also be looking at those "bomarang" shackles etc. 3" body lift will fit 33's easily and keep yu center of gravity down if it is a street truck.

Most of the serious Jeeps around here are running leaf over, chevy 44's up front with top steering, 9" or 8.8 in the back and 36" or better for rubber. They are mostly into rock climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Play400 View Post
            If you are going to do any serious of roading or if the Jeep is a toy you will be doing a leaf over no matter what axles or springs you have. Have to fit those tires in and have spring travel. Less stuff under the axle is a good thing. And you will probably also be looking at those "bomarang" shackles etc. 3" body lift will fit 33's easily and keep yu center of gravity down if it is a street truck.

Most of the serious Jeeps around here are running leaf over, chevy 44's up front with top steering, 9" or 8.8 in the back and 36" or better for rubber. They are mostly into rock climbing.

Yeah, so go spring over and stick 36's on your Jeep and see how long that Dana 30 lasts

3 inch body lift will look really stupid on a CJ5.

A CJ5 would not be a good choice for rock crawling in stock form with a spring over. Too narrow and too short for the big climbs.

Comment

just thought i'd chime in about my '5. i have an soa lift running stock springs and 33" thornbirds. i have plenty of clearance for my tires, and it works perfect for street driving. one thing i ran into, though, is i fried my stock steering box after a year due to the extra sawing on the steering wheel. if you are going to do the lift, get a steering stabilizer, and i would suggest a steering box support.

Comment

I've done both. And I prefer the spring under set up.

I have 3'' spring and 1'' body lift right now, and fit 33x12.5's fine. (CJ7)

Other than the steering, the thing that bothered me most was spring wrap.

If you're running mud, a 'bam bar' or anti wrap bar is fine, but it's hard to fab one that lets the axle articulate properly, very important for rock crawling.

It's a lot of work to do it right, and done correctly, they work fine, but my preference is spring under.

Comment

Originally posted by High5 View Post
                  Yeah, so go spring over and stick 36's on your Jeep and see how long that Dana 30 lasts

3 inch body lift will look really stupid on a CJ5.

A CJ5 would not be a good choice for rock crawling in stock form with a spring over. Too narrow and too short for the big climbs.
                  A pic after we did a color change. Flares, mirrors and MT's still had to go on. 3" BODY lift, 33" BFGs bald terrain. Looks okay to me.

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...0/PICT0052.jpg[/IMG]
                  Last edited by Play400; 10-30-2008, 09:13 PM. Reason: define lift

Comment

Originally posted by Play400 View Post

I have a 2.5in skyjacker lift kit with 33x12.5R15 tires on it but i'm going to have to change that because they rub during hard turns and the way I drive off-road thats gonna have to change.

Hill, bill E what kind of body kit is that as in brand or is it custom?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepshockley View Post

Hill, bill E what kind of body kit is that as in brand or is it custom?
                      The body lift? Got a Daystar poly kit from our host's.

All my bolts were shot, and the 1'' kit came with the bushings and hardware.

Went in great, and still looks like new, and I get my CJ twisted up real good playing in the rocks!

Comment

A body lift does raise the center of gravity, and also puts more stress on longer bolts that hold the tub to the frame. A 3" body lift raises the body, and keeps everything else at a close to stock height, which means that you really aren't at an advantage when off-roading. Anything that is attached to the frame and body will need lengthened, (shifting, cooling, ect)
                        If you go spring over there are a lot of modifications on steering which was mentioned.
                        Your springs will warp if they are weak on anything over 35's and you will have to do a bam bar. (think new axles and suspension) and the 5's wheelbase is already rather short, so stretching the wheelbase would be next.

you never really said what kind of off roading you would be doing.
                        I would go with a 4" sprung under lift, and with 33-35's but I am not going to tell you what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnys99tj View Post
                          A body lift does raise the center of gravity, and also puts more stress on longer bolts that hold the tub to the frame.
                          Not as much as a spring lift though. With any spring lift, you are raising the body and the frame. The body lift raises only the body (funny how that works) and then your larger tires raise the frame (usually by some ammount less than the spring lift would have). Either lift will work in most cases if done propperly.

A 3" body lift raises the body, and keeps everything else at a close to stock height, which means that you really aren't at an advantage when off-roading.
                          A body lift does allow you to install larger tires (the real point in any lift) while maintaining many of the stock ride characteristics. You will have more clearance between the tires and the inner fender wells (where most rub occurs).

If you install a spring lift and keep your stock tires, the low point of your rig has not moved!! It is the tires that get you more clearance. Many spring lifts increase the ride height but may actually reduce the available articulation. More lift means more spring arch, more arch generally means a stiffer spring rate and the stiffer the springs the less they want to flex. Some of the higher end lifts have adressed this problem, but it still needs watching out for.

Anything that is attached to the frame and body will need lengthened, (shifting, cooling, ect)
                          Amen to that

If you go spring over there are a lot of modifications on steering which was mentioned.
                          A great site for SOA tech is this one:

http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/cjsoa.html

Your springs will warp if they are weak on anything over 35's and you will have to do a bam bar.
                          I think the word is wrap not warp. With my SOA I have found that driving style contributes more to spring wrap than tire size. Don't get me wrong, a spring over setup is far more prone to spring wrap than SUA, but the skinny pedal is the root cause in most cases.

I have a CJ-7, and I did a SOA conversion with YJ wrangler springs. I must say I got a vast improvement in road manners (aside from a little extra body sway) as well as off road performance. The wider flatter springs that the wranglers use seem almost ideal for an SOA setup.

Comment

when done right, there are advantages to SOA. many vehicles come from the factory SOA with leafs. it's been discussed a lot on pirate for sure. go there, do a search, read up, then come back as ask questions.

obviously this 4wd board is more for OT people than more involved questions. kind of like JU

Comment

Working...
                            X