X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wipers don't park????

My wipers don't park, lay all the way down, when I turn them off. Are they supposed to? If so what could be the issue.

Nope.. they dont lay down on a CJ

view from inside:

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...t=IMG_1564.jpg

Comment

mine go all the way to the bottom of the windshield when i turn them off. there is a setscrew on the arm that lets you adjust the angle of the blade to lay flat on the bottom when turned off. my first CJ had the wipers on top of the windshield and i don't think they had any adjustment. my last one and the one i have now are adjustable. if they stop in the middle of the windshield you might be able to adjust them by taking them off and realigning them. i've never had this problem. sorry i can't be of more help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel85CJ
        Nope.. they dont lay down on a CJ

view from inside:

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...t=IMG_1564.jpg

when you get way off camber does the duck hang on to the coffee beans?

Comment

My '80 looks just like Mels, my '84 is on the opposite side, I think it has to do with the '84 having intermitent wipers. I've never sen a stock CJ wiper 'lay down' or 'park', as they say. They just stop at the farthest point of the wipe.

Comment

What???
            My CJ wipers park.
            All of mine did, with the exception of my 73 CJ-5. That had a wire broken so it didn't park right. Parking is when you turn off the wipers mid-action and they go back to the original spot.
            But as far as laying down they don't do that because it is impossible with the angle the wipers are at. However I have seen some different wiper arms that do. I have not tried these as I don't have a problem with mine.
            So if yours doesn't park check your wires. If it doesn't lay down, deal with it.

Comment

mine will park unless i stop them at just the right time...then they will stop in the center of their stroke...i don't have intermittent wipers either

Comment

There is a difference between parking and laying down flat. They all will "Park" which position is just the extreem right point of trave. When you turn your wipers to "OFF" it realy sends power to the wiper motor until it hits a break in the cantact and it will stop the motor. Some later 4 wire wipers actually short the motor contact so it "brakes" at the proper position.

Unless you modified your wipers, they will not lay down flat in the park position.

Comment

OOPS! I guess I was thinking of 'park' like the newer vehicles, where they end the wipe, and then 'park' by moving down another 1'' or so.

Hey John, my '84 parks on the left, instead of the normal right, is this becuase of the intermittent? or did I maybe put something together wrong? They work fine, low and high are clockwise, delayed is counterclockwise, and squirt is push in.

Comment

Mine stop when the wiper hits the lower windsheild seal.
                    There is a kit out there that will drop them horizontal like on cars.
                    http://riptech.net/cgi-bin/ps.cgi?AC..._ID=7976111890

Mine don't bug me, so I don't see the need to spend that kind of money on wipers. Tho I did drop 5 bucks on those springs that hold the arms down tight to the glass. Made a big difference!

Comment

ya i have mine so they park on the left side....and you can pull them down flat if wanted....i think thats a FEATURE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill, Bill E
                        Hey John, my '84 parks on the left, instead of the normal right, is this becuase of the intermittent? or did I maybe put something together wrong? They work fine, low and high are clockwise, delayed is counterclockwise, and squirt is push in.
                        Just put the arm on wrong. Although it for me that would be better so I can break the ice off the wipers in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                        X