X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Leafs VS. YJ Leafs

First off the subject CJ is a 1974 CJ5 with stock suspension. Ok so this is my question...... I want to put a lift on the Jeep, But i dont want to stop there. i would also like to improve on the ride quality. This shouldnt be too hard considering the CJ5 feels like the body is welded to the axles.

i have found a few lifts that are within my budget but there are even more options out there for the CJ7 and YJ. I know the yj and CJ7 leafs are a little wider than the cj5 but are there any other diffrences? how hard is it to put 7 or yj leafs under an intermediate 5? what kind of obstacles will i be looking foward to on the install?

I've heard of people doing this quit a bit. I'm not sure of what's all involved, but I know one thing is the differencein actual width of the spring.

You'd have to either buy new perch's, or find a way to modify (widen) your existing. I've seen people mount the spring hangers on the outside of the frame also, seems to help with the over all ride. Mine's more of a trail rig, so I was never too concerned with the street ride.

Comment

CJ leaves are 2" wide. YJ's are 2.5" wide. Another old trick is wagoneer springs...the rears I think, fabbed to a CJ.

They make YJ spring conversion kits. Wider hangers and spring perches. Dunno about putting them on a '5. Fairly common for a '7 tho.

Comment

Just a thinkin out loud. Wouldn't a wider spring tend to be stiffer? Don't really know that answer, someone will.

Comment

Originally posted by redtail View Post
          Just a thinkin out loud. Wouldn't a wider spring tend to be stiffer? Don't really know that answer, someone will.
          Not really. The spring rate determines that...and I can't tell ya metallurgicaly how that works...

If I understand this right, because the YJ springs are wider, they give the same (similar) weight carrying capacity as a CJ spring with a softer spring rate...so you get a smoother ride, similar load capacity, better torsional support (less sway), all in one swap.

The question I can't seem to find the answer to: What is the lift ratio YJ to CJ? As in how much will a 4" YJ lift equate to on a CJ?

Comment

Gryphon, so are you saying differnt Metal strenght, Differnt thickness of the leafs, differnt number of leafs, differnt bend? This isn't a quiz, just trying to understand what makes um softer. WHY dosn'nt DIFFERNT look spelled right? LOL

Comment

Gryphon, so are you saying differnt Metal strenght, Differnt thickness of the leafs, differnt number of leafs, differnt bend? This isn't a quiz, just trying to understand what makes um softer. WHY dosn'nt DIFFERNT look spelled right? LOL
              Thats my understanding Red. A wider leaf has more strength in a thinner pack than a narrower leaf pack, while still flexing (compressing) better.

I don't know the physics, just the claimed results.

(and tho I'm never wrong, sometimes I'm not right.)

(or is that just it...t'ain't right!)

Comment

On my 83 CJ7, the front springs are 2" and the rear are 2 1/2". I just took my old springs to a spring shop and had them add a leaf and re-arch the rest of the leaves. It gave it a nice look. Not too high, but just right. It also helped the ride a lot. Remember to have the spring shop make new U-Bolts a little longer to make room for the extra leaf.

Comment

My cj lift springs said they were for a 76 to 86 CJ 5 or 7. I was told that the YJ springs are a little thinner than the CJ ones, and the rears are pretty much the same as the CJ but are softer. Not sure if any of this applies to your year of jeep or not. Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Comment

WHY dosn'nt DIFFERNT look spelled right? LOL

Uh well... that's because it isn't... and since were on the topic, neither is your dosn'nt

Comment

I really don't like the way my YJ handles. It is too soft and way to much sway in the rear end.
                      But that could be because my springs on my YJ are a bit old.

Comment

Or could be the way you drive!!!

I'm baaaaack!

Comment

I replaced my 82 CJ leafs with Old Man EMU heavy weight, all 4 packs are the same width & length. I did have to move the front shakle mount forward by drilling out a rivit that mounts the front cross brace. Haven't driven it yet but they look to add about 2.5" of height. I think it may be the same P/N as for a YJ

Comment

Martin,
                            I'm in the process of installing the Old Man Emu YJ leaf spring conversion kit into my '80 CJ5. Other changes in the kit include... all new shackle hangers, the front shackle hangers move forward 1", the steering box gets lowered 1/4", and the transfer case gets lowered 1".
                            The kit seems straight forward if all your OE is where it should be.
                            In my case, I had to rebuild the rear frame which looked like a rust-shark chewed it off (helping boats in and out of the ocean). Now, somebody welded the steering box to the frame, so I'm chopping and rebuilding that area in order to accept the new shackle hanger.
                            So far so good. But how will she ride?
                            ...We'll see.

Last edited by Island; 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martinjd2 View Post
                              First off the subject CJ is a 1974 CJ5 with stock suspension. Ok so this is my question...... I want to put a lift on the Jeep, But i dont want to stop there. i would also like to improve on the ride quality. This shouldnt be too hard considering the CJ5 feels like the body is welded to the axles.

i have found a few lifts that are within my budget but there are even more options out there for the CJ7 and YJ. I know the yj and CJ7 leafs are a little wider than the cj5 but are there any other diffrences? how hard is it to put 7 or yj leafs under an intermediate 5? what kind of obstacles will i be looking foward to on the install?
                              The factor for you isn't a CJ vs Yj issue. It's that you have a 74 CJ. Those had a different spring than the 76 & later CJ's. I'm not sure if there was any difference in length, but I'm pretty sure the leaves were narrower on the 74's. The YJ spring would definately give you a better ride, however, you may need to do some modifications to your existing spring hangers & shackles/shackle mounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X