Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone rebuilt a power steering unit???

I have a typical Saginaw power-steering box that leaked. When I tore into it to replace the seals, the shaft that rides on ball bearings came out Do I have to tear it apart now to rebuild? Also how do I replace the plastic "o-rings" around the sealed head assembly that holds the splined input shaft?

ewwwwwwww ... I have always heard don't even try to rebuild those ... so I tried it once, never did get it back together right ... hence the AGR Box bolted on her now!!

If you can't get it together ... let me know, I've got one of those too!

Comment

Started in on mine a few weeks back. Got done with the teardown and realized the bore of the housing had bad scores in it so I had to buy a rebuild unit. The rebuild kit I bought came with a fairly extensive list of instructions. I had to find a shaft about the same size as the main shaft and slide it in as the main shaft slid out to keep balls in. If the balls fall out they can be replaced (according to write-up) but I recall it was a major deal.

I would put it on par with rebuilding a manual transmission.

Comment

Did the rebuild kit come with the input shaft bearing and both seals? I can get a rebuilt box for $160.00 how much was the kit?
        Last edited by hot rod; 04-04-2005, 05:31 PM. Reason: wrong terminologgyt

Comment

i replaced mine a year or two ago, and i THINK that i got a new one for like 200-250. ahhh, advanced auto ithink is where i got it. its just an oe replacement, but if you have huge friggin tires i would get the agr box. just replacing the sucker is hard enough as it is without having to rebuild it. dont break those bolts holding the mounts for the box. i did on mine, and it sucked. pb blaster treatment for a few days should be all you need. good luck and have fun with some new, crisp steering....nutt

Comment

ha ha ha I too bought the rebuild kit. Hubby worked on it for hours and hours. Our 4x4 guy won't even touch them.
            Went to Napa bought a rebuilt one for 199.00 with a 210. core charge

Comment

I know when you put the balls in they have to goin a certain order. They are different diameters and that is how they roll. I went with a box from PSC. He is the former part owner of AGR and he started his own company. Agr is supposedly having a lot of quality issues and I read complaints on the other forums. I called Tom at PSC and he gave me a great deal.

http://www.offroadsteering.com/

Comment

The kit I bought ($49) from Advance Auto had all seals and bearings, including main shaft. For rebuilt unit I payed $230 and they offered $50 core return charge. 83greencj7 is right about the ball dia's. They are different size and have to be put in in a certain order. The diff. in dia. is very small so you need a micrometer or dial calipers to deduce. Good Luck.

Comment

Replacement Unit

Bret, with all the feedback, I think it would be better to replace the gear box. If I would have known, I probably would have lived with the leak.
                  Thanks everyone for all the imput. Later on

Comment

Working...
                  X