X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cj Half Door Dilema

It's almost time to get my Jeep running and since it's Spring I had an idea. I am fairly new with Jeeps (you'll be able to tell from my questions) and don't know everything thing there is to know. I wanted to put half steel doors on my CJ but any mag I look at says I can only get soft half doors. Why is this? Is the stricker pin different, length of the door different, hinges weird, or is it nothing? I like steel a heck of a lot better then cloth (other then the price). If I can't use them stock then is there a way to mod them?

Too many questions, too little time....thanks

If you want steel, you'll have to buy used.
    Last edited by KCK; 04-08-2005, 12:54 AM.

Comment

no aftermarket doors

because no one makes aftermarket solid steel half doors for CJ's (at least not in the mags you're looking at and I've never seen any either). The door openings are the same on 87-95 wranglers and 76-86 cj-7's so if you can find some half doors for 87-95 wranglers then they'll fit your cj7. The only difference is how the door attaches to the body. On wranglers and newer CJ-7's (82 up maybe)it attaches to a striker pin and older style(pre82) is different, but I think you can buy the striker pins to adapt the old style. Hope this helps

Comment

What he said. Before I pulled the 84 Scrambler off the road to rebuild it, I had put the YJ half doors from my 95 in it to see if they will fit. I had to adjust the hinges and the striker a bit, but other than that, perfect fit. So if you can find a set of used half steels for a YJ or buy a new set, you would have your half doors.

Comment

I googled{ CJ5 "half doors" -soft } and got results for hard half doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Red
            I googled{ CJ5 "half doors" -soft } and got results for hard half doors.
            Crap, I assumed he was looking for CJ-7's.
            4wd used to sell a set for the CJ-5 but I can't find them now. They had a set with diamond plate and then another made of something else.

Comment

No, ya'll had it right with a CJ-7. Im the guy with the $50 parts Jeep and a $750 working Jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by cj71981
                because no one makes aftermarket solid steel half doors for CJ's (at least not in the mags you're looking at and I've never seen any either). The door openings are the same on 87-95 wranglers and 76-86 cj-7's so if you can find some half doors for 87-95 wranglers then they'll fit your cj7. The only difference is how the door attaches to the body. On wranglers and newer CJ-7's (82 up maybe)it attaches to a striker pin and older style(pre82) is different, but I think you can buy the striker pins to adapt the old style. Hope this helps
                The striker pin is gonna be a bigger PITA than cj71981 illuded to. You'll have to buy the striker pin bracket if it's not already installed on you CJ. Hopefully you have the three #10 mounting holes on the inside of the tub behind trailing edge of the door opening. I know their in the 4wd catalog. Also, you'll have to get the proper length screws, so they're not to long. I had to add some rubber washers behind the striker mount, so the door would snug up a little more. It's not difficult, but you should look before you leap.

If the door post stiker is not in 4WD catalog, Collins Bros Jeep has them in their Used Parts section. http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/main.htm
                Last edited by rmy; 04-08-2005, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Thumbing thru the catalog and finally found them online. http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetai...tsku=55029455K

Comment

Working...
                  X