X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj7 intake

Hello, new to the forum! I just bought a 79 cj7, runs pretty good but it has a vacume leak on the intake manifold. Anything I should look for when replacing the manifold gasket?

I6 or V-8?

Comment

I guess that would help. It is an I6

Comment

I think you have to replace the exhaust also. I can't remember, the earlier years you have to. I am almost sure for the 79 you have to replace both. I think they come togeather as a set.
        And if you haven't had someone replace the intake and exhaust with a newer one then they are bolted togeather and you have to do them both at the same time as it is very hard to get them to seperate when in the vehicle.
        Does the 79 have the coolent flowing through or was that only in the newer models? If you have that don't forget to drain the radiator.
        Make sure you torque the bolts back down in the right order and the the right torque. You do not want to warp either of these.

Comment

I had an '80 CJ7 a while back. You probably have the intake and exhaust manifolds that bolt together.

If that's the case. You'll want to replace all 3 manifold gaskets together. It'll make the torque sequence the way it should be.

I had more problems with my exhaust manifold. Had to have it resurfaced once, and then had to replace it altogether cuz of a crack.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X