Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/S problems

hello everyone,
    i got the power steering on (yooohoooo) but i have a problem. my pump pulley is spinning on the shaft. i thought it went on very easy when i pressed it back on. it is the same pulley that came off the pump. has this happened to anyone else?
    258 engine
    thanks all,
    mudd

I didn't know the pullies even came off those pumps?? I don't think they cost very much ... chuck it in the trash and go down to autozone and pick up a new one.

Comment

your right bret. the pump alone is about $35 and with a new reservoir around $65. i am wondering if i will have the same problem with the new pump's shaft. i don't want to start throwing $$$$ at it. wait, i forgot it is a JEEP!
      thanks for the reply.
      mudd

Comment

Unfortunately the pulley does not come on a reman PS pump, and the Jeep version is different from the chevy version, so an aftermarket replacement is not going to be easy to find. Take the pulley back off and check for cracks around the center hub. if it is not cracked you can use a center punch to peen (knurl -just like valve guides) the inside of the pulley bore, then press it back on, it should go on a lot! lot! harder after a thourogh peening.
        Last edited by tracraym; 04-08-2005, 11:41 PM.

Comment

If all else fails you could take your original pulley into your local power transmission supply house and they could likely match it. It may require a custom bore to fit your pump.

Comment

post topic

Unfortunately the pulley does not come on a reman PS pump, and the Jeep version is different from the chevy version,

how are they different??
            I am going to need a pulley and a friend has a donor of of a chevy

Skip

Comment

love our jeep

thanks for the post. with all the work and $$$$ owning a jeep is we still would not have it any other way. bty a couple of tack welds on the pulley and shaft took care of the problem. only in a jeep
              thanks,
              mudd

Comment

Thats what I like to hear ... why replace when you can WELD!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, the point is moot now, but the chevy pully has a larger outside diameter, different offset, and larger bore diameter, other than that, they are exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X