X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360+ Swap

This may have been addressed on here before, but I can't find it. Will the 360 + 727 TFT+ Dana 20 drop right into the 84 CJ7? I have access to that combination, and both the 360 and 727 have already been rebuilt. I am confident that if it does fit the axles will have to be replaced soon after stomping the pedal down once, but that will be dealt with later. Someone on here mentioned a clearance problem with the pan on the 727 and the front driveshaft, but of course, the guy who has the motor says it is not a problem.

First just ta make sure its an AMC 360 right? OK with that quaestion out of the way there is a bunch of little stuff you will need. Frame and Engine mounts for the V8 motor for a CJ. V8 Radiator, V8 fuel lines they run on the oppisite side of the frame, Manifolds or Headers, Rad Hsoes, Throttle cable and more than likely driveshafts since the 727/D20 will move your drivetrain back. There is probably some stuff I'm forgeting but its gonna run ya about 400.00-500.00 depending on if you can find stuff used or not.

Comment

the front driveshaft problem is usually seen on a SBC/TH350 swap in a cj5. swapping the motor alone is not all that hard, but you're going to run into some money with all the drive line work you'll do as pgh mentioned above. if your 84 has an amc 20, upgrading it in your garage now is easier than on the side of the road or worse, on a trail in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

That's pretty much what I expected to hear. I'm really only interested in the 360(and it's from an old J10), so if I do this I'll be selling the 727 and maybe the Dana 20- or maybe the 300 that's in the beater now. Lots of decisions to be made .....

Comment

if the 727 has a dana 20 ,some one put it on; the dana 20 never came with a 727 only a th-400 in jeep up to 79 after 79 they went to the 727/999/904 in the jeeps

Comment

with a proper input gear, the dana 300 will bolt right up to the 727, as both have the round bolt pattern. fuzz is right, the dana 18/20 have a "texas" bolt pattern. oh yeah, the pan on the 727 is big. unless it's been modified, you need at least 4" of lift to clear the front shaft.

Comment

I have an AMC 360 out of an old Pioneer, a 727, and a D300 case. These all went into a 76 CJ7 that used to have the TH400 - quadratrac system and they went right in without any driveshaft mods. Granted I had to switch to an AMC 20 rear, but that was it.

Comment

Working...
              X