Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering on going to power steering....

Okay, I am seriously considering changing from manual to power steering. Question......... my 82 cj5 has a chevy sb350 with a th350 auto trans... What exactly do I look for in parts....... would it still be Jeep or Chevy?? As far as I know, I have not done anything to the steering just seems I have replaced almost everyother darn part on her. Also, I think I am going to break down and put a 2 1/2" suspension lift on, any suggestions?? I really need to figure out what I am doing and am going to do!

Power Steering

I would look for the power steering pump and brackets and pully(s) off of a chevy 350, if you have a serpentine setup you may want the belt and adjuster( idler) Then I would look for the power steering box out of a jeep, then install new hoses etc. Just make sure the pumps are of the same capacity/presure needed for the jeep box....no sweat! good luck. Keep in mind that there are alot of kits out there Like Allen GRove Brackets if you can't locate brackets , just check the Hot Rod Mags, or contact me! I love my power steering!

Comment

ditto that.

get the pump from a late model chevy, and the bracket from the same year chevy as your motor. Then get the box, and steering coupler that fits the Cj. The 80's model Cj hoses are the same thread (metric) as the late model chevy, so you should b able to adapt them quite easily.

P.S. upgrading to power steering is not a question of if, but rather When (sooner or later? . . . sooner!)

Comment

you girly men need to buy a gym membership. what's so great about ps? i have manual and have no intention of switching.

Comment

Girly men

Us Girly men like power steering so we can save our strength for the girls after a day of WHEELING!

Comment

PS is awesome! I love mine, love it so much I home-built a brace for the box. this way when I go to 35's I won't have a bit of trouble turning, as long as the front wheels are on the ground. (evil chuckle)

Comment

Originally posted by 79cj7duner

PS is awesome! I love mine, love it so much I home-built a brace for the box. this way when I go to 35's I won't have a bit of trouble turning, as long as the front wheels are on the ground. (evil chuckle)

i guess that's my point, because i have 35" tires and there's no problem turning with manual steering. i'm not bashing PS and was just joking about the girl thing. but i wouldn't want to rob the horse power from my engine for something i don't need.

Comment

Fubar

I'm with you Fubar, sometimes you need that extra power!!!

Comment

the powersteering is gonna help take a little stress off the box with such big tires, a cooler wouldnt be a bad idea either.

I drove a CJ with 33x12.50s with manual steering for almost 2 years, it was pretty bad but bearable, tight turns on the trail were not very fun though and after wheeling something with power steering i like it a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                  X