X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaken CJ

Hey guys, I'm the newby on the block that needs advice. I have a 78 CJ7 with a 258 & a T-150 in it. I recently installed a 4" suspension lift & a 1" body lift. I tried to install the transfercase lowering kit but when I did it would not go into first or third gear due to the stick hitting the body. The lowering kit is a 1 1/4". The jeep drives and handles well at all speeds. Now the problem... when I try to take off in first gear the jeep shakes violently from 0 to 3 mph after that it does fine. Do ya'll think it would help if I cut the lowering kit in half? I would appreciate any advice, Thanks

I personally don't care for tcase drops myself, because it's like backpedaling. You are taking away ground clearance you paid for, plus it tilts the front of your engine up, which results in the fan hitting the shroud and all sorts of stupid little things. However...

It sounds to me like you have a driveshaft issue. try taking your shifter plate cover off. with the lowering kit installed, you should be able to get it into 1st and 3rd with room to spare. if this solves your shaking prob, then you have your answer. Trim your shift cover and go until you can afford a d/shaft.

If it doesn't fix it???? Maybe a loose U-bolt on the rear end housing??? triple check everything.
    HTH

Comment

OK, I put the tcase lowering kit back on and removed the shifter plate to be able to get it into 1st, I could tell no difference in it, it still shook when I tried to take off. The more toque that's on the jeep the more it shakes. ie.. starting on an up hill slope. I checked all nuts & bolts, the d/shaft has about a 1\8" to 1/4" play in it. I'm afraid I will end up breaking something if I continue to drive it. PLEASE HELP!

Comment

sounds to me like a ujoint getting ready to let loose.

Comment

fubar is right. just the little bit of difference in the dshaft angle will bring out bad u joint that you would not have been able to notice before. change the ujoints and buy a coulple spares right away because youll be going thru more of them with the new driveline angle.

Comment

check your u-joints.. and double check that your U bolts on your springs are TIGHT.. did you reuse your old spring Ubolts? sometimes when you reuse them, they are prone to getting loose.

-Mel

Comment

Problem fixed, kinda embarrassed to explain but here goes, it was what Duner & the rest of ya’ll kept telling me, that my u-bolts were lose. The problem was me using my pissy-*** impact wrench and thinking they were tight. I borrowed an impact from my cousin & was able to tighten the u-bolts down another ½”. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Thats ok. it happens... that seems to be *somewhat* common oops.. that & power steering box bolts being loose.
                -Mel

Comment

don't just over tighten the bolts though. those caps have to be able to spin on the needle bearings. i always tighten them to torque spec and put a little locktite on them.

Comment

I think he was refferring to the U-bolts holding his rear springs on.. not U-joint straps...

-Mel

Comment

Originally posted by Mel85CJ
                      Thats ok. it happens.. ......... & power steering box bolts being loose.
                      -Mel
                      OMG, tell me about it. I am getting sick and tired of mine working loose. I have decided to put loc-tite on them to keep them in. I know I am going to hate myself for it later but I hate having sloppy steering.

Comment

Working...
                      X