X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing over to P/B

I have an 86 CJ7 with manual brakes. I have a master cyc. and booster, offset air filter. Do I need anything else? Is this a easy swap? Any info, tip would be very much appriecated.
    Joe

have you checked the pedal bracket assy and plunger lengths to see if they're the same? you may also need a different portioning valve. not sure since i've never done it, but these are things that pop into my mind as possiblities.

Comment

I think you might have to have a different set of lines going from your M/C to your brake proportional valve. But other than that you are all ready to go.
      I did this swap, not hard at all.

Comment

if you can uncurl the lines enough to get em line up that will work, i did the opposite on this last cj cause of the motor swap and large cam. i had power brakes, and so my lines were to long, got a 2 dollar tube bender from o'reilly's and was just careful with em. your should be in a twistie type thing so you will need to make en longer instead of shorter but same principal, just dont kink the line

Comment

OK I got all the old off and starting to put the M/S and booster on. On the booster there is the vacume line, on the end off the line is a threaded fitting where does it go? The rod on the back seems to be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ovr-ez
            OK I got all the old off and starting to put the M/S and booster on. On the booster there is the vacume line, on the end off the line is a threaded fitting where does it go? The rod on the back seems to be the same.
            I hooked mine to the main vacuum off the manifold. Right by the EGR valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
              I hooked mine to the main vacuum off the manifold. Right by the EGR valve.
              Can You send a pic of your set up? Did everything fit OK? I put it on but the rod going to the brake pedal seems to be a little short (about 1/2 "). When I hooked it up the brake lights came on. After it is hooked up and running will it cause the rod to come out any? Just a thought.

Comment

The brake pedal will sit lower (even with the clutch pedal) with the power brakes than it did with manual. Because of this you will need to adj. the brake light switch.

Comment

P/B brakes in Now

I got the p/b setup in and the new offset air cleaner put on. My question now is the pedal feels soft. It sets a little lower than the clutch pedal. Its seem like when you push on the brakes it goes down a couple inchs or so and bottoms out, while it slows you down it doesn't feel right. The brakes been bleed, m/c is full.

Comment

did you buy a NEW POWER BRAKE m/c? cause if you salvaged it it could be a bad m/c...and did you bench bleed the m/c?

Comment

Yes it is a new M/C and booster, Yes I did bench bleed the M/C. Any thoughts?

Comment

Sounds like there is still air in there to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kbm
                          Sounds like there is still air in there to me.
                          Same here. Unless you have your rear brakes out of adjustment. The Cjs power brakes are a bit on the soft side. Is that what you are feeling? Do you have to pump the brakes to get them to firm up? Or is it, no matter how many times you pump them they stay the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
                            Same here. Unless you have your rear brakes out of adjustment. The Cjs power brakes are a bit on the soft side. Is that what you are feeling? Do you have to pump the brakes to get them to firm up? Or is it, no matter how many times you pump them they stay the same?
                            They stay the same no matter how much you pump them. Soft.

Comment

My red one was like that. No matter what I did they were always soft. They would stop the jeep. But nothing to great.

Comment

Working...
                              X