X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Installation Line-up

Is there an easyier way to line up the transmission shaft to mate with the engine? I am using a dowel rod to line up the chutch plate with throw-out bearing. I do not have a transmission cart so I am using a floor jack to insert the transmission into the bell housing. Something is moving it out of allignment when I push it forward. Any suggestions?

I would bet it is the clutch not aligned right.
    Can you get your hands on a clutch aligment tool? Autozone has a tool loan policy and I do believe they have them.
    There shouldn't be anything that should cause it to move, if the clutch is aligned. Unless you are putting it in crooked and it is straignening up at the last minute. But I think you would notice that.

Comment

Rod -

What I typically do is put the clutch and PP up in place, and then as you tighen down the PP, run your fingers around the outside edge of the PP to make sure the clutch is pretty well flush all the way around as you tighen up the PP .... that will usually get you pretty close.

As for the throw out bearing, typically they just clip on the arm, and you shouldn't have any problems get the shaft through there??? Then make sure your tranny is in gear so you can turn the shaft and get the splines to line up with the clutch ... once you get it that far ... have somebody get behind it and kick the snot out of it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bret
        Rod -

............. once you get it that far ... have somebody get behind it and kick the snot out of it!!!!

It should slide right in. You should never force it. If everything is ligned up it will slide in so fast you will catch your fingers.
        If you are sure you have all the right parts it should slide from slight pressure.
        If you have problems, and you know you have everything aligned here is a trick.
        Get two very long bolts the same dia as the ones that go into the engine at the wings of the engine(the part where the bell housing and engine bolt togeather(the one of three points that the engine and bell housing actually bolt at). Cut the head off. Thread them into the engine or tranny bellhousing. Of course you will have to bolt your bell housing to the tranny first. Then put the tranny back in using the two pins as a holding points to make sure they mate in line. This should keep the tranny in line to mate perfectly with the engine. Remove the pins after you have a few bolts in.

Comment

I have tried very similar things with a floor jack, and cussed up a storm at it. Then my favorite Autoshop dealer told me they rent Transmission jacks for $15.00 day. I've never used a floor jack since.

Comment

Are you trying to put the tranny and transfer case up at the same time?
            If so, stop. Only do one at a time. You can almost lift it in by hand when they are seperated.

Comment

The hard way.

Thanks for all of the resposes, I have tried all of the above at one time or the other except getting the right tools for the job. I am going to try to mount the "whole thing tonight with the advise above. But I am going to see if I can get the right tools.

Comment

did you ever get the steering box to work out for ya?? I left that broken bracket on there ... just in case you needed a broken one!!!

Comment

it is a tight fit into the pilot bushing, hopefully someone didnt screw you and give you the wrong one.
                  i put my tranny/tcase up by myself when they were together....three times now. did it a little diff each time, but the easiest was i put a 2x4 across the whole thing through the door openings, and had a ratchet strap through a hole in the front of the tranny and around the tcase yoke. went little by little with thaqt and floor jack. worked decent just had to play around with it a little. i also keep the shifter lever on, so that kind of helps keep it from flopping around. it is still a lot easier with a strong buddy

Comment

Its in there!

I pulled the whole thing out and realigned the clutch with the brass bushing. I took extra time and really made sure it was center using a 1/2" od round pipe. Then I maded sure the throw-out was centered also.
                    At this point I took took lost-one's advise and screwed in two 7/16" bolts with the heads cut off into the bell housing. This was important
                    the transmission then slid into place without forcing. When It was almost there. I tried the "big Kick" but it didn't work. I had to put a board above the bell housing and jack it up so the last 1/2" would go.
                    And they were happy for ever and ever and ever as long as the tranmission works . The End.

Comment

The last 1/2 " is the shaft going into the pilot bushing.
                      Glad it is in and bolted down.

Comment

Working...
                      X