X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper mounting

I am in the process of welding up a bumper and winch mount and I have a few questions for those who have replaced their bumpers.

How did you get the stock torx head bolts off? I am assuming cutting but does anyone know what size torx that bolt is? The pair of torx bolt closest to the bumper is that all that holds the stock bumper on?

On your aftermarket (or custom welded) bumper how many mounting points do you have and where??

Not sure of the size, I know it is bigger than a t-55. The two bolts, on top and underneath on each side, hold the bumper on.

Comment

Originally posted by GDJeep
      Not sure of the size, I know it is bigger than a t-55. The two bolts, on top and underneath on each side, hold the bumper on.
      Thanks. I almost bought a T60 last night but wasn't sure if it was 55 or 60.

So if I understand you there are the front 2 torx top and then the bottom 2 which go into tapped holes in the frame? Do you happen to know the size and thread pitch by chance??

Comment

Actually I think it is a T-55.

Best to have a complete set of torx bits if you own a Jeep.

Comment

You should only see two bolts from the top-one left and one right. The other two are on the under side. Each end of the frame has welded in nuts top and bottom. Don't know the size and thread pitch. Might be a goofy size like the body mount bolts. I seem to remember that they are an odd size also- almost 1/2 but not quite. Could be wrong though. On the torx size, I do think it is a t-55. I just checked my set and I thought I had a t-55, but my biggest is a t-50, so it must be a t-55.

Comment

T-60 I think, and the bolts are metric. Soak them with PB Blaster or something like that for a couple of days, soaking down every few hrs. Then right before ya remove them take hammer and pound right directly on each bolt. This will loosen them up. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by hmr-rsq
              T-60 I think, and the bolts are metric. Soak them with PB Blaster or something like that for a couple of days, soaking down every few hrs. Then right before ya remove them take hammer and pound right directly on each bolt. This will loosen them up. Good luck
              Got a torch and an impact so I am not worried. I just know that whatever driver I buy will be a one time use as I am replacing them with hex heads. I just hope they are not 9/16 fine or metric.

We need to start the Jeep tool network for all of those 1 time use items. Eveyone buy one and then trade them amoungst ourselves.

Anyway my welding is coming along better than I expected and I should have the front bumper done next week. Will post pics once I am finished.

Thanks guys

Comment

I've had mine out a few times recently. It's a T-55, and soaking them with WD-40 or similar helps a LOT getting them out. I broke one T-55 the first time I took mine out...after that I started soaking them and haven't broken any more bits.

It's a fairly common thread because i replaced the top bolts with regular hex head bolts for the tow hooks, but I don't remember the exact size.

Comment

Finished- Here's The Pics

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557211619zanJzB?start=0

These are pics from the SOA and the bumper I made.

For future referance the TORX driver was 55 and the thread on the bumper bolts is 1/2-13 UNC.

Comment

its a 1/2" course thread. nothing special. id replace them with grade 8 for the strength and rust protection thanx to the zinc coating.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPLT1
                      its a 1/2" course thread. nothing special. id replace them with grade 8 for the strength and rust protection thanx to the zinc coating.
                      We import and distribute fasteners so I go shopping after work in the warehouse. Nothing like building your bumper at work and having a few million dollars worth of nuts and bolts an aisle away. I don't even hold my air-fresheners on with less than gr8.

Comment

i only had the torx on tp of the bumper...am i missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by ex-racer#2
                          I don't even hold my air-fresheners on with less than gr8.

im with you on that!

sreno0207... i bought a jeep like that too. either someone who worked on it left them out, they broke off, or they fell out which is unlikely considering they usually rust in.
                          check, the holes should be there if the threads are good just put in 2.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPLT1
                            im with you on that!
                            I should correct myself, I put GR8 in when I want it to hold. I put grade2 in when I design the bolt to break before my really expensive parts do. GR8 have a tensile strength of 150kpsi and shear of approx 60% of that. I think my bumper will hold if the welds do. (approx .75 x 150kpsi x .6 x 4 bolts= 270,000psi shear.)

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/43...600x600Q85.jpg
                            Last edited by ex-racer#2; 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X