Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it stinks bad

Exhaust fumes that is.

I have no motor internal changes all stock, just HEI, intake manifold, header and 2100. I got the 2100 form the Ebay guy and have no idea on the jet sizes or the how the carb is set up. Now it runs absolutly perfect, starts with a touch of the key, shuts off perfect, no hesitation, bla bla bla. But man does it STINK!!!, almost to the point of burning you eyes and I wouldn't want to go for no hour drive, you would be hurling. It smells like it's running very very rich, almost like the exhaust could be re-lit. I would say caburator issue, but what do I do?

Could be the evap canister. I had a bad tube on mine an it stunk when it came loose.

He (ebay guy) should have sent a cd with carb tuning instructions. it's really easy to do.

my method (which some claim is wrong...but it does work and it's the only way I know):

With the engine warmed and turned off and the air cleaner removed: turn the two adjustment screws in all the way until they JUST stop. COUNT THE TURNS...this way you can return to that setting if you mess up. Don't turn them once they seem to stop to avoid damage! Then back them out three full turns.

Fire up Jeep. Make sure the idle is set right (abt 750-800 rpms)

Starting with the right screw (looking at the front of the carb, the outboard one), slowly turn it in, 1/2 turn at a time, until the engine stumbles. Back it out 1/2 turn. Bump the throttle and check again. That sets the primary venturi.

Check the idle setting, adjust as needed.

Now do the same thing on the inside (left) screw. This sets the second venturi.

Check the idle again. Bump the throttle and test drive. If it's not right, back the screws out another 1/2 turn.

This has always worked for me. Once you get a feel for it, you can do it very quickly ( 2 or 3 minutes total). I used to have to do it every 2 or 3 weeks as they would back out too far and run rich.

Comment

I'll look for the CD, don't remember if I got one. I do know I did not touch the carb cause it runs good. I'm going to try your suggestion on tuning it as well. Just going to have to wait till spring, it's a tucked away for winter.
      Thanks

Comment

Stanky jeep

Are you running a return line back to tank? Usually off the fuel filter works best, especially on 6's
        Too heavy on float level could also be the culprit, especially on a Holley, sometimes even an adjustable rpessure reg can help

Comment

I have the stock type fuel filter with the line returning to the gas tank from the filter. From the tank a line goes to the charcoal can, and a line from the can to the air filter on the carb. looks as close to original as possible. The gas tank cap is stock from 1982, didn't try removing or replacing it though

Comment

how are your vacuum lines hooked up? plug/clamp off the return line coming off the fuel filter and test drive it.

Comment

The best way to tune a carb without an engine dyno is with an air /fuel meter. You can buy them and they can be relatively inexpensive to very pricey. Here's a link on how to build your own: http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

Another link:http://www.micro-craft.com/english/

A search on Google will set you up with plenty of possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by the Captain View Post
                how are your vacuum lines hooked up? plug/clamp off the return line coming off the fuel filter and test drive it.
                Cappy, what are your thoughts on this, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by scobar View Post
                  Cappy, what are your thoughts on this, thanks
                  i was thinking that fuel was getting into your evap canister maybe. clamp it off and try it.

Comment

This can only be done to big block (Vengines. You can't do this to 4 cylinder engines unless it has nitrous oxide, these NOS systems are illegal; if you have a NOS system and you add the flame effect you will create colorful flames.
                    Step 1 Get a jack and jackstands.

Step 2 Raise and support your vehicle using the proper jack stands.

Step 3 Cut out your muffler and catalytic converter if you have them and install a straight exhaust pipe were it's needed.

Step 4 Grind an area on your exhaust before the headers to clear rust for a clean surface and drill a small hole in the tiny area you cleared. Insert a small screw with a piece of black wire and attach the other end to your chassis using the same method.

Step 5 Repeat step 4 half way down your exhaust toward the tail pipe.

Step 6 Grind all around the pipe 8 inches from your exhaust tip(s). Mark tubing in half for measuring. On both halves of your exhaust mark a circle almost the same size of your spark plugs. Drill these holes out using the proper bit.

Step 7 If You drilled your holes correctly you now should be able to screw in both of your plugs with out a leak or slippage.

Step 8 Using a light inside the tail pipe make sure your plug fingers are open toward the back of your vehicle.

Step 9 Attach a spark-plug cord to each plug and at the opposite end of each cord attach a red wire. If you have multiple wires you will need a collection box to make them all into one big one.

Step 10 Trail a long red wire from your collection box into your cabin and connect it to the (-) portion of your switch.

Step 11 Install your switch somewhere in your vehicle that makes you comfortable.

Step 12 Connect a second long red wire to the (+) portion of your switch and lead it to your fuse box and plug it into the (batt 1) spot, or if you want to make it easier you can plug this wire straight to your positive terminal on your battery.

Comment

Originally posted by joda View Post
                      this can only be done to big block (vengines. You can't do this to 4 cylinder engines unless it has nitrous oxide, these nos systems are illegal; if you have a nos system and you add the flame effect you will create colorful flames.
                      Step 1 get a jack and jackstands.

Step 2 raise and support your vehicle using the proper jack stands.

Step 3 cut out your muffler and catalytic converter if you have them and install a straight exhaust pipe were it's needed.

Step 4 grind an area on your exhaust before the headers to clear rust for a clean surface and drill a small hole in the tiny area you cleared. Insert a small screw with a piece of black wire and attach the other end to your chassis using the same method.

Step 5 repeat step 4 half way down your exhaust toward the tail pipe.

Step 6 grind all around the pipe 8 inches from your exhaust tip(s). Mark tubing in half for measuring. On both halves of your exhaust mark a circle almost the same size of your spark plugs. Drill these holes out using the proper bit.

Step 7 if you drilled your holes correctly you now should be able to screw in both of your plugs with out a leak or slippage.

Step 8 using a light inside the tail pipe make sure your plug fingers are open toward the back of your vehicle.

Step 9 attach a spark-plug cord to each plug and at the opposite end of each cord attach a red wire. If you have multiple wires you will need a collection box to make them all into one big one.

Step 10 trail a long red wire from your collection box into your cabin and connect it to the (-) portion of your switch.

Step 11 install your switch somewhere in your vehicle that makes you comfortable.

Step 12 connect a second long red wire to the (+) portion of your switch and lead it to your fuse box and plug it into the (batt 1) spot, or if you want to make it easier you can plug this wire straight to your positive terminal on your battery.
                      ka-boom !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X