X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axle problems

I have a 74 cj-5 and needing to repair my front axle. It is the original dana 30. Running 3.73 gears in open diff. Wanting to upgrade, possibly some axle shafts and some kind of locker. Possible a upgrade in the whole axle? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks for the help.

any lift? what size motor? what size tires you plan on running? what type wheeling do ya plan on doing? if its mostly stock with mild to moderate wheelin planned, i'd just repair the dana 30 and upgrade to disc brakes. my son runs a dana 30 with 4.56's and a tru trac in front. with the exception of his 5 bolt hubs( which we swapped to 6 bolt) hes been happy with it, running 33 TSL's and mod trails.

Comment

That is a good ?. Sorry about that. My 74 cj-5 has a chevy 350 built up a little bit (around 375hp). I'm running 33"x12.5"x15" mtz. I installed a 4wd 2.5" suppension lift and 4wd 2" body lift. Teraflex shackels front and back, which are pretty cool. I have been working on this jeep since 2004. One step at a time. Been waiting one the drive train until I needed to repair it. My wheeling has been limited to pastures to fishing holes, and country roads. Haven't felt it ready to trailer it several hours yet. I would like to make to some moderate trails, just not wanting to destroy the body. Small dents and scatches are going to happen. Thanks again.
      Last edited by jeep74; 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Well, you can get the guts to upgrade your shafts through our host 4WD. The Dana 30 is a pretty decent axle for your application, especially with upgraded shafts.

What broke on yours? Seeing the age, I would think it was just age catching up to it. You are pushing some serious HP for a rig designed to run about 1/4 of what you are putting down.

Upgrades: Depends on what you want and your budget. IH Scout Dana 44's fit pretty easily I am told. I think they are wider, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The choices go on up to 3 thousand dollar custom axles.

Comment

All that is wrong with my axle is a wheel bearing is going bad. Not much of a reason to rebuild a whole axle, but I do not feel like the u-joints come apart from the shafts. Many years of rust on them. I know the hp is a little much, but it sure is fun to shift the gears and watch the mud fly. Sounds pretty good to. I have considered the shafts from our host. They offer a 27 spline or a 30 spline. I should have the 27 spline, wouldn't have to change carrier. The upgraded axle should have superior strength to the factory shaft. I have also thought of a axle upgrade with new brakes but have not found one made as a replacement to mount to my supension. Have you seen any?
          Last edited by jeep74; 01-30-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

the scout axle (dana 44) is not a bad upgrade but not a simple bolt in.. out board springs and steering work iirc. upgrading to disc brakes is not that hard. find a donor dana 30 that has em and swap knuckles and brakes ect.. if you go easy on the skinny pedal the 30 will hold up ok, if ya start rock crawling or hammering it in 4x4....... well good luck
            Last edited by junker; 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I have been checking out kits from Ten factory and Alloy USA. They both seem like maybe good options. Not sure what the difference's are, but either one is a upgrade I think. Still browsing. Keeping options open. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X